Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am 100% brand new to old school motorcycles..... I just picked up a 1981 Honda GL500. Got it for really cheap as as a project bike, the engine runs strong and I rode it around for a bit before I got it. But, as expected I have some problems, and don't have a service manual ... YET. I need some help from all you experienced guys and gals. Ok here is the first problem. My battery is at autozone right now, Im trying to eliminate that from the problem. The bike has 50000 miles, and the guy i bought it from has had it for about a year, and hasn't rode it at all really. When I went to first look at it, the bike was running in his driveway. He said he had to jumpstart it because the bike hasn't been running in a while. So obviously I ask "Does it need a new battery?" He said no the battery should be fine, its only a couple months old. Ok, so asked if I could ride it, he said sure, I rode for a bit, then stalled the bike (not used to the clutch). I fired it back up with the electric start.... it started. Rode it stalled it again lol.... didn't start the third time. So in total... it was running for about 5 minuted before I got there. Ok... so the day after, I purchased the bike, he brought it to my house, we tried to start it, wouldn't start.... he said probably because its been sitting in the truck ...etc. Ok so I tried to jumpstart it, wouldn't start. It will run for a minute, but then dies. Hope its a bad bettery.... but I guess we will see. Any input or help would be great...I just really hope its not the stator, regulator, or any part of the charging system.

Problem 2. Sorry this is so long. The choke is rigged up with a little metal piece right now that you have to manually pull because the choke cable is not currently on the bike. How do I get to the inside where the choke attaches to put this cable back on? it runs up under into the bike somewhere, but its looks kinda difficult to get to, although I haven't even tried yet, just hoping you guys have some pictures or a simple way to do it.

Ok and finally I am going to change the oil tonight. Also, what other fluids should I change ? Has anyone used a product called "Seafoam" and is it ok with the bike? Ive used in in my fuel tank on my newer motorcycle, but never in the oil or through a vacuum hose. What vacuum hose on the gl500 would I use for this?

Ok well thanks guys, an sorry for all the questions, any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Welcome.

You need to do a stator test. Dollars to doughnuts that's your charging issue. On the general discussion forum, there is a quick links thread pinned to the top, all the info is there.

Do this before you change the oil, because if it's bad you'll need to drop the engine (and open it up) to change it. Not hard, not a huge job, just a PITA.

Choke cable runs from the carbs under the tank and up, to access it you'll need to remove your side panels, seat and tank.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Heh, I had the old "battery is only a couple months old" line when I got my bike. Had to jump it to test ride, and jump it to ride home (45 miles). Was fine for a couple days, then sat for a couple days and wouldn't start again. New battery fixed it. For $30, you might as well.

I think they overfilled and overcharged the "new" battery. You could see where the acid landed on the frame from overflowing and not having the vent tube hooked up.

But, if it's just dying while idling, could be a charging issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome.

You need to do a stator test. Dollars to doughnuts that's your charging issue. On the general discussion forum, there is a quick links thread pinned to the top, all the info is there.

Do this before you change the oil, because if it's bad you'll need to drop the engine (and open it up) to change it. Not hard, not a huge job, just a PITA.

Choke cable runs from the carbs under the tank and up, to access it you'll need to remove your side panels, seat and tank.

ok thanks for the info... um like I said brand new at this. I found this guide...

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=521

where is this located on the gl500. I noticed it said cx500 is this the same digram?

How do I take off the gas tank... is there a guide for this here?

Also, Ive never dropped an engine, how long does that take and does it require some serious equipment? I may be better off taking it to a mechanic huh?

·
Registered
546 Posts
First test voltage across the battery while running. You should have around 14v.

Next there is a block of three yellow wires, rear of the battery next to the solenoid and main fuse, test these for AC current

Facebook is down or I'd post pics for you......

Engine out isn't too bad, you need a milk crate and an assortment of wrenches. There is no frame under the engine, so once unbolted it just drops out.

Stators are about $130, and you'll need a new rear engine cover gasket, pulsar cover gasket, and "should" replace the oil seal as well.

CX info is different than the GL (except for '82cx), as it used a different ignition and charging system. The GL is much simpler.

To remove your gas tank: Remove your side panels, be careful as the posts are relatively fragile. Remove seat: There are two bolts, mine use a 13mm head near the rear of the seat, one each side. The remove the single bolt at the rear of the gas tank, and pull the tank backwards first, then up and off. Don't forget to disconnect your fuel line and vacuum line from the petcock first, and note which nipple the vacuum line attaches to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First test voltage across the battery while running. You should have around 14v.

Next there is a block of three yellow wires, rear of the battery next to the solenoid and main fuse, test these for AC current

Facebook is down or I'd post pics for you......

Engine out isn't too bad, you need a milk crate and an assortment of wrenches. There is no frame under the engine, so once unbolted it just drops out.

Stators are about $130, and you'll need a new rear engine cover gasket, pulsar cover gasket, and "should" replace the oil seal as well.

CX info is different than the GL (except for '82cx), as it used a different ignition and charging system. The GL is much simpler.

To remove your gas tank: Remove your side panels, be careful as the posts are relatively fragile. Remove seat: There are two bolts, mine use a 13mm head near the rear of the seat, one each side. The remove the single bolt at the rear of the gas tank, and pull the tank backwards first, then up and off. Don't forget to disconnect your fuel line and vacuum line from the petcock first, and note which nipple the vacuum line attaches to.

Thanks so much for your help, well Im guess Im gonna wait for this battery first, and hopefully the problem stops there.... If not, I will move on and will probably need more help haha. If you can get pictures later or something that would be awesome! Thanks again for the help, and hope you don't mind me asking nub questions haha!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks so much for your help, well Im guess Im gonna wait for this battery first, and hopefully the problem stops there.... If not, I will move on and will probably need more help haha. If you can get pictures later or something that would be awesome! Thanks again for the help, and hope you don't mind me asking nub questions haha!

No problemo. check and make sure the connections at that 3 yellow wire block are clean and solid. Some have reported them being a melted mess, and the cause of the issue here. Also check the green ground wire under the seat while you have it off. It bolts to the frame there, and sometimes corrosion or poor contact have also caused charging issues.

We were all noobs here at one time, if not for this forum I would have sold my first GL for scrap the day after I bought her.

I had no experience either, and have learned much, and successfully did a stator change myself last summer.

Please read the quick reference guide in the general discussion forum, manuals are available for download from the links provided, and pretty much any question ever asked has a solution there.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/16-quick-reference/

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

Additional charging system information can be found here.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I added seafoam to my bike- 1/2 for the first tank, and ran the 2nd half in the 2nd tank.....

I didn't notice a huge difference.... but I know it made a big difference in our jetskis we had.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how do i upload my images? i just tools some pics of another thing that I needed some advice about...

disregard the picture question ..... ok these clamps are not secured and one is missing,this is on both the left and right side, and they are not even connected... this cant be good .. right? is right in front of the air box...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Nope not good. First unfiltered air is getting through. 2nd, these carbs require vacuum to operate. Vacuum requires restriction, and open carbs will have very little, and you will be way lean. Looks like a good carb cleaning is in your future.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok i just read this and i am surprised that know one suggested the main fuse why is that the bike died on him and now he cant restart it not even with a jump to me that sounds like a bad fuse that is were i would check first

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok guys, well got the battery back from autozone, they said it is good. They did a full trickle charge for 8 hours. I got new hose clamps and secured the carb boots. I took of that yellow 3 pin connector, it looks fairly clean. Not sure what you meant on how to test it.... what setting do I have the multimeter on?

Well I tried to start it with the freshly charged battery.... immediately tried to start up but died. second time.... wouldn't start, headlight was very dim, and the ignition swith only dimmed it more. I don't understand whats going on at all.

Also, I tried to jumbo start it, which I have never done to any bike, but I did it and the first few times nothing, then I got it started, and it ran for probably 3-4 seconds then died out.

Really wish I could figure this out......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.