Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Honda CB450 k6
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi guys, I'm new here. And may or may not be staying depending on this listing.

I checked out the bike the other day and first off it's not worth the 1200 the guy is asking, and hes flexible on price.

When I looked at it it started up nice and sounds good, but two big items were it was leaking coolant somewhere above the engine, under the tank. And the master brake cylinder is completely seized.

I already have a project CB450 that's almost done so i don't want another money pit. But if these seem like simple fixes and I can get the bike for under 400 I think it'd be worth it.
I'm just looking for some insight on that decision.

I also looked at the engine number and didn't see three dots for the recall. But I didn't get to look at the chain l. I also didn't hear any cam chain noise. Exhaust was clean it seemed.

Thanks for any responses!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,746 Posts
The recall that the 3 dots indicate completion of didn't apply to 1981 models.

Depending on where under the tank the coolant is coming from it could be anything from a loose hose clamp or a bad hose to a failed water pump mechanical seal (can be replaced with the engine in the frame). At that mileage I would expect the camchain to be more than halfway worn but it could be less if tensioner adjustments were done religiously (takes only 10 seconds if done while checking the valve clearances but a surprising number of Previous Owners are too lazy or dumb to consult a shop manual and do things properly so without inspecting it you won't know. Somewhere on the forum there is information about how to determine the state of the chain by using a dental mirror or an endoscope/borescope camera (they sell them for plugging into cellphones these days) to look at the tensioner adjuster.

You might find this useful

BTW: Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (as you've probably figured out with the 450, they own us, not the other way around). The Previous Owners of any old bike you get may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the appropriate Factory Shop Manual for your model (for CX/GL500/650 models available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
2,382 Posts

Hi guys, I'm new here. And may or may not be staying depending on this listing.

I checked out the bike the other day and first off it's not worth the 1200 the guy is asking, and hes flexible on price.

When I looked at it it started up nice and sounds good, but two big items were it was leaking coolant somewhere above the engine, under the tank. And the master brake cylinder is completely seized.

I already have a project CB450 that's almost done so i don't want another money pit. But if these seem like simple fixes and I can get the bike for under 400 I think it'd be worth it.
I'm just looking for some insight on that decision.

I also looked at the engine number and didn't see three dots for the recall. But I didn't get to look at the chain l. I also didn't hear any cam chain noise. Exhaust was clean it seemed.

Thanks for any responses!
Are you sure the brake issue is the master-cylinder and not the caliper??
Brake rebuid?/pistons/seals/lines.....include that in your negotiated price....

S/car Bob has detailed a lot of things I would have said.
My 20c...
Inspect the bike (again) at cold start ONLY...will it start easily?...any smoke? unusual noises?
Check the dipstick....does the oil smell of fuel...if so Carbies will need a clean/rebuild....include that in your negotiated price.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The leak, if it's the mechanical seal (which it probably is) is by the book a big procedure.... but the shep method it is a simple cheap fix.... but the seller may not know that.... by the book it's an engine out, removal of rear cover and pressing in a new cup... quite a job...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts