Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I just rode a nice CX500 home. I traded a very good Colt Python for it, but I will ride this bike more than I will shoot the pistol. I have already had the use of the Colt for 15 years and I really want to get back up on two wheels. The bike has 10,000 on the odometer, and I believe that is true. The bike ran just fine all of the way home. The tires are practically new and the previous owner threw in a damn nice helmet as well.

He had purchased the bike from his boss, but didn't feel comfortable riding. As a gun collector, he was very receptive to my offer to trade.

I have a lot to learn about this bike. I remember when these came out - I was still in high school. I was riding a CL350 Scrambler at the time, and really wanted a CX500 Custom. Well, now I have one. I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Welcome to THE premier resource forum for the CX/GL family. It sounds like you have a good starting point. As you get familiar with the bike, and the forum, be sure to check that link above, as well as all the other pertinent links in the Quick Reference section here in General Discussion.

It is a good idea to go through the initial things like fluids, cam chain adjustment, plugs, carbs and electrics. Tidy up all connections. You will find a downloadable factory service manual in that Quick Reference I mentioned. And don't hesitate to ask questions. There is usually someone here worldwide to assist, 24/7.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fantastic! This is exactly the kind of forum I hoped it would be. I sat up past midnight - a bit too excited to sleep - poking around the forums. I'll read up on the link and get started this evening with some pictures.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, no pictures yet. I did manage to take a short ride this evening, though. It started to sprinkle, so I parked in the garage and called it a day. The bike still feels real good. The Dunlops are in good shape, enough to get me several thousand miles down the road. The previous owner has installed a throttle clamp on the throttle grip. It works well, but the grip tends to slide off of the handle bar - a bit disconcerting. I need to glue it back on. Also, I have noticed a smell of coolant and I had to top off the coolant reservoir prior to my ride. I started reading a bit about typical sources for these leaks. Any pointers would be great.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey welcome to the forum you might want to update your location that way people know were you are at hell there might even be some one near by that could lend a hand or even ride with

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's a photo of tensleep's bike...

I figured you would turn up here tensleep!

I was never aware of the coolant odor. I wonder if maybe I just never ran it hard enough for a long enough period of time...but then again my sense of smell is totally shot. Hopefully it's just a loose clamp or something. If you can identify a part that needs to be replaced, I may have it.

Sounds like you're enjoying the ride, though. Be safe, buddy!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Isn't this the bike that was located in the DFW area craigslist? If so, are you from the area? I'm located about 45 minutes East of Dallas.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey there, dogsdad! Thanks for posting the picture. Lucky and geoffb, I hear you about updating my location, but I am a bit leary of letting out too much personal information on a public forum. It's nothing against you guys at all - just caution on my part. Let's say that I am east of Dallas as well - pretty close to you, geoffb, in fact.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Man, I need to be more observant. I didn't realize that rocket was from here also!!! Cool!!!

Yes sir
Get around DFW area, how far are you? on a side note, any of you texas guys ever ridden through Big Bend area, I heard there was a cool observatory out there................

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yeah it's called the McDonald Observatory and I've heard it's really super and I've wanted to go there my ENTIRE LIFE!

I'm going this year...it's a bucket list kind of thing. Not on the bike though...gonna take the family. I've been through west Texas many, many times in a motorhome or cage, but never on a bike. It's hot out there I hear.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This morning I saw a GL500 parked at the Pit Stop Motorcycle Shop in Aubrey, Texas. Don't know if it was a customers or theirs. AGB-1

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes sir
Get around DFW area, how far are you? on a side note, any of you texas guys ever ridden through Big Bend area, I heard there was a cool observatory out there................

I haven't had too many adventures on the bike as mine is down at the moment. But I would like to go for some food adventure rides once I get her moving. I'm from Greenville, which is about 30 miles east of Rockwall. It's a bit away, but I used to go out to the fort worth area to ride motocross at village creek.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
...I hear you about updating my location, but I am a bit leary of letting out too much personal information on a public forum. It's nothing against you guys at all - just caution on my part. Let's say that I am east of Dallas as well - pretty close to you, geoffb, in fact.

It looks like the location is already public knowledge.

Just a general location is all that is requested. It helps to have an idea where folks are located since the forum has members located around the world.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, you guys should be a bunch of sleuths as quickly as you sniffed me out! Yup, Rockwall it is. I have to still get all of the paperwork in order, as well as my class M license. This is what I think I need to do, please correct me if I am wrong and please estimate what the costs will be.

• Transfer title - I have the previous owner's signed title, bill of sale and odometer exemption
  • insurance - I use The Hartford, for house and 3 automobiles. I'll probably just get liability with high limits.
  • Test for Class M - written and riding, I suppose? What does the riding test entail? Can I take the written online?
  • Register the bike in my name. I think I need all of the other steps completed prior to registration?

Thanks for the support and we'll have to take a fall ride, if not sooner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tensleep, check out GEICO. I've had my auto insurance with them for years so I went with them on the bike. Someone posted here recently that they had become very competitive on bikes. I JUST NOW cancelled my coverage since you have the bike now. I had excellent coverage for about $230 per year, including some pretty high-powered medical coverage.

I don't remember if I pointed it out to you, but the inspection sticker expired in April. I was going to take care of it when I got my license but I never did that. Shouldn't be any kind of big deal.

When I transferred and registered the bike and got plates, it ran me about $70. Since all the excuses the state comes up with to raid your pocketbook make no sense to me, I couldn't really say what it's going to cost you but it shouldn't be too far from that amount.

And please let me know if you can identify any part you might need to take care of the coolant problem. I'll make sure you get it if I have it.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Welcome from Georgia!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.