Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Recently acquired a 1979 CX500c with 16000 miles. It fairly clean and in good condition. Needs a few odds and ends and doing the Triple Bypass this weekend as the stator has some bad coils and a bad pulsar. Looking to keep it stock and have some good adventures with it.
Thanks for all the info so far and more to come I'm sure.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike has had 40 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.

I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. You probably already know to check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet) but don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can split on the bottom and let dirt in while looking perfect on top).

·
Registered
827 Posts
Welcome to a bunch of old motorcycles and I suspect the riders are for the most part the same. That includes me. :vs_greis: How is camel back mountain? Phenix.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Nice looking bike! Welcome to the forum, a wealth of knowledge here regarding the CX/GL series bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Screamin Bob, I am Booneyman. I too am form the Phoenix area. Good to know there are others in my vicinity with an interest in these old scoots. Hope you enjoy it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts