Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
'78 CB400A Hondamatic; '81 GL500 Silverwing Interstate; '83 GL650 Silverwing Interstate; '86 Gyro S
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have always had a love for Honda motorsports since I was a kid. Last year I bought a '78 CB400A and had a blast all summer after putting some work into it and rebuilding the carbs. My friend and I came across a barn find of a '81 GL500 Interstate and a '83 GL650 Interstate. This is a partner project and I am heading up the 650 with intention of that being my primary bike to ride. The honda twins forum was a huge help with my CB400A, looking forward to all the info and help on this forum. Can't wait to get these bikes up and running and doing some touring. I'm seeing much longer trips than I run on my CB400A in the future. Long live the the vintage Honda.

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX-500.. a work in progress
56 Posts
Welcome from the real NW...Warshington. Ohio, Japanese morning greeting, very apropos for these old Hondas eh?
I threw the 'Eh?' in there cuz I also speak fluent Canadian.

·
Registered
'78 CB400A Hondamatic; '81 GL500 Silverwing Interstate; '83 GL650 Silverwing Interstate; '86 Gyro S
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! Good Morning from the flatlands of Great Lakes USA. Yes, you are definitely in the real Northwest out there in Warshington oh yeah eh. (I too speak Canadian with a specific dialect in Yooper) Thank you for the welcome and yes, I truly love the old Hondas. I am brand loyal and just have a blast on them. Just got done placing an ebay order for over 20 items in my cart to get started on this project(seats, seals, intake boots, all the fun stuff). Now that I'll have a windscreen I may need to get some studded tires for some winter riding, eh? Haha, probably not but I'll definitely be out in my snowmobile suit on clear dry days once I'm up and running.

I'm not sure if I will have to perform the triple bypass right away or if I will just need to rebuild the carbs, master cylinder and replace all the rubber to get it road worthy but I'll know soon. It's currently sitting in my trailer. After Christmas I'll be getting it into my garage and tear into it. Can't wait.
-Cheers fellow rider

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota! I am sure you will find either the GL500 or GL650 capable of taking you where ever your heart desires. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Mikey D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. On the GL650 the starter clutch is a common problem and something you will want to do when you do the by-pass. The triple bi-pass is so 2010 in my option go for the Quad bi-pass. I'm near the IN/OH border and have some GL500/650 parts if you need something.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,458 Posts
Another welcome from Minnesota!
As a long-time CX500 owner, I'm also new to the GL650. It's quite the machine. Too bad it had such a short production run.

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
20 Posts
Hello to Mikey D from Logan in Idaho! New member too and new owner of a 81 GL500. I am in a similar boat to you and am having fun tearing mine apart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome from Minnesota! I am sure you will find either the GL500 or GL650 capable of taking you where ever your heart desires. Enjoy the ride.
Thank you kindly, looking forward to many miles

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum. On the GL650 the starter clutch is a common problem and something you will want to do when you do the by-pass. The triple bi-pass is so 2010 in my option go for the Quad bi-pass. I'm near the IN/OH border and have some GL500/650 parts if you need something.
Thanks Keith. I'm sure once I get into it I will be needing some more advice and parts. Good to know you are in the area. I'm so grateful these forums still exist and everyone is so helpful. I hope to pass it on as I advance with my knowledge on all of this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another welcome from Minnesota!
As a long-time CX500 owner, I'm also new to the GL650. It's quite the machine. Too bad it had such a short production run.
Thank you for the welcome. I agree on the unfortunate matter of a short run. Glad there are plenty that still keep them alive and going. Hope to ride up to the land of 10,000 lakes once I have everything dialed in. My ultimate goal is to ride the entire coast of Lake Superior. That will probably be sometime before I'm able to but it is on the bucket list. I visit the UP frequently and my heart is in the north woods.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello to Mikey D from Logan in Idaho! New member too and new owner of a 81 GL500. I am in a similar boat to you and am having fun tearing mine apart.
Good to hear Mr. Logan. Thank you for the welcome. These truly are some great bikes and I just can't wait to start riding it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, I heard a rumor about a barn find but haven't seen any photos yet.
Hello Mr. Thumper. With pleasure I present to you our barn find. (By the way, that is not the barn where they were found, that is my friends toy barn. The bikes were actually down the road from this one out in the corn fields)
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Leg Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive parking light

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is what started my affair with the old bikes. This is a real fun one to run around town on but I'm really looking forward to being spoiled with a wind screen and a very comfortable seat. Long tours ahead on the silverwing
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Helmet Plant Motorcycle

Footwear Tire Wheel Plant Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
2,000 Posts
Hi Mikey, ,
Welcome! Go for the 650 if you want to travel on the hi-way ,the extra power is much noticed. Love the color of the 650 bike looks good.

Reactions: washoe and Mikey D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Mikey, ,
Welcome! Go for the 650 if you want to travel on the hi-way ,the extra power is much noticed. Love the color of the 650 bike looks good.
Copy that Gerard. Thanks for the heads up. I'm really excited for this new adventure. My friend has a mid '90s BMW touring bike that has already made the round trip on the Lake Superior coast so I think the 650 will stay with me. The 500 will be good for him when we do some state route traveling and he can jump on the BMW for some highway travels.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
699 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. I agree on the unfortunate matter of a short run. Glad there are plenty that still keep them alive and going. Hope to ride up to the land of 10,000 lakes once I have everything dialed in. My ultimate goal is to ride the entire coast of Lake Superior. That will probably be sometime before I'm able to but it is on the bucket list. I visit the UP frequently and my heart is in the north woods.
Mikey, In early 60's BH (before Honda) the local paper from Superior said it was now possible to go around the lake-it was october (lot of frost on bikes at night also no lodging
Or fuel) never thought about that but headed out on our Harleys. One of my favorite rides (went around again in 03 but in July. HD printed my story in their National monthly mag in may 62 ( surprise-paid me $40 -college semester was $75). The year before I had ridden to Key West & back to N. Wis but no story. Not two many years ago 2 of my friends (not young) rode around Lake from twin cities on Honda 350's. Your 650 will do great.
Paul

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,406 Posts
Good to hear Mr. Logan. Thank you for the welcome. These truly are some great bikes and I just can't wait to start riding it.
Welcome aboard! I'm in Minneapolis (grew up in Michigan and have a daughter in Grayling). I have a standard GL500 and GL650, I really want to do the circle tour someday.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Sky Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
2,000 Posts
Hi Mikey,
My first bike was a Cb400 Hawk 79 year , have only one old picture of it , bought it in 1984 . Yes that is my Dad in the picture with me. Suprized to see yours has disc brakes on front ,where mine was drums front and back
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,458 Posts
My ultimate goal is to ride the entire coast of Lake Superior.
Let me know when you do. I've been wanting to make that ride for years, now, but haven't done it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts