Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I want to say that this forum has already saved my a** about 5-10 times in the last two weeks of owning my 82 GL500!

My father has owned this GL500 since I was 2, which is at least 25 years now. He upgraded to a goldwing a few years back and this was just sitting in the shed so I took the MFS class to become confident with fixing up this bike and then riding it.

Since driving it down from Kansas City to Oklahoma City I have already put 1700 miles on it! The only issues I was having up until today was just electrical, lights going out here and there, then fixing a couple switches.

Well as of yesterday the bike is running HOT, like all the way to the red line after a few miles. I flushed the radiator today with just water and got some gunk out of it, imagine it was from it sitting so long as it was flushed before I got the bike but I'm sure it being driving so much has loosened up whatever was in there after all those years.

I have some leave in flush sitting in there now, and will drive it in there for a few days before flushing it again.

Am I missing anything else I should try? I feel like at one point I read there was a fan behind the radiator? Or is there anything electrical related I need to look at as I was having issues with the lights and stuff before and this issue happened over night.

What else would you try, I am all ears!! Thanks all in advance. IMG_0704.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it is actually getting hot, I usually jump on a highway near my house so it would warm up pretty quick, and its also 100 degrees here too so that doesn't help.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Hello mm1, we are almost neighbors. As advised, check the 7 volt regulator, I think it is in the headlight.
Should be producing 7 volts. Many overheating problems are cured with a 7 volt regulator. I may have one.
The cooling fan is mechanical, black plastic, behind the radiator, if you look in just the right place you can see
the fan turning, I hope. You have to take off the radiator to get to the fan.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If it has in fact run that hot, check the oil with the dipstick. If it looks like a milkshake, drain the oil, refill, and check the headgaskets.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Easy to test the regulator.
Follow the yellow wire back from the tach and see where it goes.
Most will find the little black box hiding below the speedometer.
Check the output on that wire and it should be 7VDC +/- a couple %.
If you get 12v then it needs replacing and Murrayf has them available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soooo update. Sorry this took so long. I forgot my login and haven’t been on! Just took everything apart and he damn an is complety busted. ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stupid phone lol. The fan is totally busted. But that’s the only thing that looks to be wrong.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I have 2 good used fans, come and get one for free.
It will get you by for a while. I have an appointment at Integris hospital
Wednesday afternoon. Maybe we can meet up??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 2 good used fans, come and get one for free.
It will get you by for a while. I have an appointment at Integris hospital
Wednesday afternoon. Maybe we can meet up??
Lol damn!!! What time you coming into the city?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts