Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp. After four years of wanting a bike, I'm finally getting one.

I've been lurking for a while so I feel it's time I posted and asked some questions potentially. I'm buying my friend's 1982 GL500 Silverwing. 38k miles. Will end up paying about $450. She's not in good shape at the moment, but she /should/ run fine after I get done with her. I'm becoming pretty decent with a wrench.

The story; Friend bought this bike in about 2011/2012. Rode it very little for a short amount of time. It developed a short which caused the headlight to go out. He's really bad with mechanical work, so he didn't get around to it. At that time, the front tire valve broke off. He fixed a new one on with a friend, but then he messed up the front tire when attempting to put it on! He then let it sit to this day. I've helped him store the bike and move it around several times.

The bikes in pretty ok shape. The fairings and luggage are beat up to hell, but I'm selling those anyways (selling here first! Will post pictures soon) as well as a few bits I don't care for. I'm not going for cafe because I'm sick of seeing these bikes turn into those, but I WILL be making some cafe/bobber-esque changes; mainly bars and seat. I love the tank shape and side panels.

Just felt I should introduce myself. I may be asking for some information very soon, so I feel this is appropriate haha. I'm very excited for this bike and this forum seems exceptionally friendly and very non-toxic. I'm so very excited to be apart of this community.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Please take a few minutes to add your bike's year and model to your signature. There are subtle differences between the various years/models and this will help folks to know which one is yours.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great to have you on the Forum. We all look forward to hearing how things go with your 82 500. Bought my 81 500 Silverwing in September, cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, lubed then joints/shaft put 2 new Dunlop tires on and She runs out pretty well. Very happy with my latest ride. Kept the fairing, trunk, bags and single seat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome! It's very much appreciated. I hope that I can actually stick around and post some actual progress. Here's to hoping I don't get lazy.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Welcome aboard ! Nice bike I have the same model you shouldn't have any problems getting help here:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome from Minnesnowta, Take your time and definately use the Wiki and download the Factory Service Manual. Since your GL is an interstate you already have the Dual Disk front brakes.

I bought my first Silverwing last May, Didnt drive my car for 2 months!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really, thanks everyone.

Welcome from Minnesnowta, Take your time and definately use the Wiki and download the Factory Service Manual. Since your GL is an interstate you already have the Dual Disk front brakes.

I bought my first Silverwing last May, Didnt drive my car for 2 months!
Already DL'd and looking through it. How worn are your discs? On the one I'm picking up they look fairly worn. About 1mm, on both sides, on both of them.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Welcome Etherous, you are exactly where I was last fall when I picked up my neglected and forlorn GL500 and GL650.
Last winter they got a good going over including engine out work.
Take lots of pics during breakdown because you will be looking at them often during re-assembly.
Download the FSM (factory shop manual).
Enjoy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome Etherous, you are exactly where I was last fall when I picked up my neglected and forlorn GL500 and GL650.
Last winter they got a good going over including engine out work.
Take lots of pics during breakdown because you will be looking at them often during re-assembly.
Download the FSM (factory shop manual).
Enjoy.
Thanks, man. What did you have to do to the engine? I'm gonna TRY to run her without engine disassembly. Though, if i spot one leak, she's coming down for all new gaskets.

Did you do just gaskets, or did you go all out and get new rings, triple bypass, etc?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just want to say thank you all again. This is such a non-toxic forum. I'm that much more excited for this bike. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Thanks, man. What did you have to do to the engine? I'm gonna TRY to run her without engine disassembly. Though, if i spot one leak, she's coming down for all new gaskets.

Did you do just gaskets, or did you go all out and get new rings, triple bypass, etc?
Both bikes were badly neglected for years so I decided to remove the rear case to re-do the mech. seal and cam chain, then the front case to adjust the oil chain.
The carbs were removed and rebuilt.
Entire bike was deep cleaned front to back.
Other stuff too but the point is it was do-able by being methodical and organized.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome aboard. Do yourself a favor and adjust the valves and cam chain tensioners before you run it again. I took my engine apart for fun and was glad I did because it was a mess and wouldn't have been good to try to get it running before doing a lot of work to the engine. You're right about this being a friendly forum - the guys on here are great, and of all the forums I've been on, this is the only one where everyone treats each other well and you can actually get good answers to your questions.

Here's my build in progress: http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-customization-modifications/21863-building-81-gl.html

Regards!
--Carter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both bikes were badly neglected for years so I decided to remove the rear case to re-do the mech. seal and cam chain, then the front case to adjust the oil chain.
The carbs were removed and rebuilt.
Entire bike was deep cleaned front to back.
Other stuff too but the point is it was do-able by being methodical and organized.
Damn. I'm hoping I can get away with that lol. I'll try running fresh fluids after chain/valves and see if i get any leaks. If i see any, i'll definitely tear her down. Carbs are definitely coming off
though. Thanks man!

Welcome aboard. Do yourself a favor and adjust the valves and cam chain tensioners before you run it again. I took my engine apart for fun and was glad I did because it was a mess and wouldn't have been good to try to get it running before doing a lot of work to the engine. You're right about this being a friendly forum - the guys on here are great, and of all the forums I've been on, this is the only one where everyone treats each other well and you can actually get good answers to your questions.

Here's my build in progress: http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-customization-modifications/21863-building-81-gl.html

Regards!
--Carter
For sure. Looked up the cam tensioner and valves a few days ago. All looks easy enough to get right. I'm really gonna try /not/ to take it all apart, but I most likely will in the future. I might just run some Seafoam/Mystery Oil through her real good then change oil again. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Obtained!

<please let me know if I need to move this thread or make a new one for this content>

The bike is mine! I finally got it over to my house and started working on it. So far I've stripped the bike down from the fairings and luggage. I'll be getting rid of those. Sadly the fairing was damaged from the bike dropping in the trailer ....old tie-downs are more likely to snap...

Just finished doing valve clearances and chain tensioner adjustment. A couple pictures for your viewing pleasure...;

The valves weren't bad at all! I'm quite surprised by the condition of the valve covers as well. No discoloration. They could be new, or maybe the bike really was cared for well its 38k miles. We'll see what happens when I get her running!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts