Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum so greetings. I guess like everyone, I had a great interest in owning a Honda GX or GL 500 that finally led me to buying one.

I was fortunate to find one is good shape. Looks almost new, expect for the 30 plus years of minor wear and tear.

My one question to all you all pros is, do you use synthetic oil in your bikes. I am a Royal Purple fan and use synthetic in all my cars, but I have reservations about switching an older bike that was born and raised on conventional motor oil.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful advice and I plan on reading all the past posting to learn from the experience of all you pros who have fought this same battle before!

My Silverwing.jpg

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am new to this forum so greetings. I guess like everyone, I had a great interest in owning a Honda GX or GL 500 that finally led me to buying one.

I was fortunate to find one is good shape. Looks almost new, expect for the 30 plus years of minor wear and tear.

My one question to all you all pros is, do you use synthetic oil in your bikes. I am a Royal Purple fan and use synthetic in all my cars, but I have reservations about switching an older bike that was born and raised on conventional motor oil.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful advice and I plan on reading all the past posting to learn from the experience of all you pros who have fought this same battle before!
Yours is very much a twin to where mine started (but mine looks WAY different now!). Try the synthetic and you should be pleased. I run the purple in my trike and a much older 1974 VW Thing air cooled -- much opposed to the "conventional wisdom" against modern oil in an ancient motor. I've only driven about 5 miles on the trike, so I can't be forceful in that regard, but I have 16 years running synthetic in the VW and can tell you that it runs 25 degrees cooler with zero drippings that are so common to all old VW boxers.

Try it, you'll like it!

·
Registered
596 Posts
nice bike!!! You will enjoy it immensely!

Through the years, motor oil has been a rather hot topic, re: Synthetic -vs- Petroleum, etc. It appears that a goodly number use Rotella 15W-40 (self included). After much review, I've decided that there is nothing wrong with synthetic oil..... just be careful with those oils (any oils) that contain friction modifiers as these bikes have "wet" clutches....your best bet is to use oil identified as meeting API-CJ4 / "JASO-MA" requirements..... JASO-MB is low friction oil and may cause slippage of the clutch.
(JASO is a Japanese automotive standard that is said to exceed API).

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Nice looking bike! Welcome aboard. Take a moment to add the bike details to your signature, and put your location in your profile under your screen name, you never know when you may have a neighbor member near you.

I also run Rotella T 15/30w, and it's much cheaper than any synthetic. Since these are "water" cooled engines, the heat factor is not near as high a bargaining chip....assuming all systems are up to snuff.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick feedback! I think I might try the Royal Purple 10w40 synthetic for motorcycles when I change my oil in a few days. I don't trust anyone when it comes to oil, even if it was just changed.

Much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts