Honda CX 500 Forum banner

New from the UK - long time owner

759 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Sidecar Bob 
#1 ·
Hi all. I've joined for the tech info and help in sourcing hard to find engine parts. I've had the same CX since 1984 (a Black 500Z) and I seem to have collected some more on the way.

#3 ·

Thanks. I'm in Northamptonshire. Here's part of the stable - taken last year. My first CX bought in November '84, a 650 which is hoping to look like a Turbo and a funny green thing at the back, also bought a long, long time ago.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your CX bike may have been new when you got it but it is about 4 decades old and you may not have had the knowledge to do all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so if you don't already have it downloading the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and going through all of the service procedures is highly recommended, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. You probably already know to check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet) and it you've replaced the original rubber brake lines (should be done every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) with modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid) but don't forget things like the rad hoses and oil seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.