Honda CX 500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
A couple of friends have recently inquired about the Vermont Rally, 3rd weekend in September, 2021, said they had not seen my posting here. So I'm just bringing it to the top again. If you've been before, come again. If you're thinking about a first visit, mark your calendar. Never had a complaint from previous attendees! It's casual habitat, mostly eat at the cabin family style, ride a lot, with relaxing evenings of CX/GL comraderie. An inexpensive get away after school is back in session and family road vacations are over, so we pretty much have the rural roads of Vermont (and New Hampshire?) to ourselves. I'll provide the address and my contact info when it gets closer to folks expressing interest in attending. Brookfield, Vt. Thursday evening thru Sunday evening.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hiya Rich,
Due to the border restrictions at this time, it looks like i won't be able to attend :cry:
IF things become "more relaxed" by September., I'll do my best to attend ;)
Cheers...........keith......:cool:.........

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Now that the 2021 PA Amish Rally is in the history books it's time to think about heading to Vermont for the New England Odd Year . Sept 17-18-19, cabin opens Thursday late afternoon. A couple of days of rural riding, rudimentary cooking and good old HTTA comradery. Cabin beds, floors, porches or tent camping (your tent). Some early mornings the bike seats are sugared with frost before the days warm up to great fall weather! It's typically a smallish group and we generally ride quite a bit (mileage is always personally optional of course). Breakfast (over maps) and dinner are usually at the cabin to open the day for road adventures and minimize costs. Central Vermont was the birthplace of the US HTTA rally concept lo those many years ago, this continues a historical precedent started by Phil late in the last century. I'll have state VT road maps for you as souvenirs. This is a low cost weekend celebrating (mostly) twisted twins and the joy of riding, eating, drinking and BSing with like minded enthusiasts. I'd like to get a rough idea of who's coming, so if you could post here or PM me that would help me do my part hosting.

I'll be riding with Gene, R.I.P.

ps: No one is uncomfortable trucking or trailering their bike(s) in, lots of parking and help unloading/reloading.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Planning to ride up Thursday evening.

Reactions: richnct

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Its less than 3 weeks away! A few of the possible attractions include a visit/ride across the longest wooden covered bridge in the US (450’), which is also the longest 2 span bridge of this type in the world. Additionally a visit to the Floating Bridge in Brookfield is only 3 miles from the cabin. Not much interest in this Rally yet, but I’ll be there even if it’s just the three of us! Steve/Cobram has kindly posted the HTTA banner to me for the event.
Ride, eat, drink, sleep, REPEAT!

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
441 Posts
The post title made me wonder why you would only want odd-years bikes to make an appearance, damned Yankees, lol!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I’ve just always liked odd year motorcycles better. Kind of an underdog thing, everybody picks on odd year models, thinking even year bikes are better. I’m an odd year model myself. Like the north south thing. It’s a real thing, I’m surprised you weren’t aware of it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hmm... 81 custom and 83 Turbos guess I fit in !

Reactions: richnct

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I’m told a ‘83 CX650E (not mine) may be there Friday.
Despite the camp being a couple of miles from asphalt there are two ice cream shoppes (British spelling?) within 10 miles. Vermont has it’s priorities in order!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Any chance of Bill's maple syrup available to that weekend ?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I will request he make an appearance one evening with his mobil market, aka a cardboard box on the front seat of his truck. LOL

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
It’s less than 2 weeks away! I’m sure we’ll make a visit to ApGap on Rte 17, a biennial favorite. There will be something on the grill for non-vegan Thursday PM arrivals. If your dietary needs are not mainstream please plan to supplement your nourishment accordingly, cooking apparatus is available. I’m mostly a meat & potatoes cook. In general the larder will be stocked adequately for the expected number of guests, which at present is hanging around a half dozen. As necessary we can shop but i hate to spend riding and jawing time in a supermarket LOL. It is helpful if we know who is thinking of coming. I hope it is YOU!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
One week to go! I’m aware of about six souls planning to attend, the regulars, and new friends are welcome. As it is a private cabin I prefer not to publish the exact address. If you wish to come just PM me for more info. It’s in Brookfield, Vt. Bring a sleeping bag, towel and personal toiletries, pretty much everything else is there. Well water is great. Basement shop, rescue truck/trailer onsite, experienced mechanics will be among attendees 😂. Cabin will be open by 4:00 pm Thursday September 16, close Sunday pm. It’s been 4 years, looking forward to it!!!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Only days away now. Weather forecast is better than bad, less than great, but rain looks to be only light and spotty if at all, certainly not bad enough to cancel. And better as you go north. Probably be a small group, let me know of your non binding intentions to come. Just a select few are going to have a great time! breakfast, dinner, coffee on hand, BYOB. PM me if you need info or have questions. Any HTTA member is welcome.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Four of us had great weather. Gathering Thursday PM, we rode to and about the New Hampshire White Mtns Friday, Rt 112/Kancamangas Highway, Bear Notch Road, Crawford Notch to the Mt Washington Cog Railroad base station then down Franconia Notch and back across Vt to the cabin. Flogging the half liter twins for all they were worth over 250 miles of fun rural roads! Burgers at the cabin, motorcycle movies courtesy of bro Steve with a few favorite beverages put the end to a great Friday. Saturday following breakfast and a map session found us headed the two miles down East Hill to asphalt and 60 miles through the countryside byways to watch and chat with artisans hand blowing glass at Simon Pearce. Westward to scenic Vt Rt 100 and north to a favorite place, Appalachian Gap on Rt 117 for a two way traverse of the newly paved twisties then back to camp to meet neighbor Bill and peruse his maple syrup on the back of his truck. The Tunbridge World’s Fair was in full swing 10 miles down the road and he’d just taken a 9th consecutive year 1st place for his horse drawn wood boiled syrup, so we filled our saddlebags with his nectar at wholesale prices. He stayed for spaghetti dinner, a couple of beers and tales of his off the grid lifestyle. Another 250 country mile day had drawn to a close. Pounding 40 year old bikes all day has its moments, minor that they were, I had to disconnect my tach so I could hear my engine, and Bill had lost both headlight beams. Steve’s much newer 800cc Intercepter just smiled. Sunday dawned with a crystal sky and we bs’d the morning away on the front porch over coffee and a leisurely breakfast before packing and a noon departure for home, this old coot thankful for another set of memories.
Postscript: The food must have been pretty good, the cabin toilet now sports a crack in the bowl! 😆

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Sounds like you all had a GREAT time (y)
But where are the pics ?
All The Best......Keith......:cool:..........

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Same here, not many pics.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 80 Posts