Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2017 = Odd Year = A long September weekend of CX/GL/ST Rid'n, Eat'n Sipp'n & Bullshitting our favorite machines! Where = Brookfield, Vt, When = Sept 14 (evening) 15,16,17, Thurs thru Sun. Why = Cause everyone who has ever attended has had a damned good time and most generally come back! It's time to put the sleds away and make plans for this riding season! After the family summer vacations are done, the kids go back to school, and before the leaf peepers come out to clog the highways and byways, WE OWN THE NEW ENGLAND RIDING! Make plans to join us at a little cabin up in the Vermont hills for some low cost, low key, high fun time with like-minded riders and wrenchers. Miss it and you'll wait until 2019 for the next one, 'cause it only happens on odd numbered years and only in September! You don't have to take my word for it, ask anyone who has been there.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
just checked my "On Call" rotation !!!!
FYI ;)
Weekends I am available are:
Sept 9th-10th
Sept 16th-17th
Sept 30th-Oct 1st

All The Best............Keith.......:cool:.....

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sept 15-16-17, 2017 looks like a great weekend to plan for! Arrivals the late afternoon of Thurs Sept 14 will likely find an open door.

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I would like to ride up from Martha's Vineyard.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was brought to my attention recently that if one zooms in on Google Maps at the site of the Odd Year New England CX/GL/ST Rally in Brookfield, Vt, you will see some of the bikes and trailers present at the 2015 rally there. Interesting! If you are credibly planning to attend this September and need the location, let me know. Otherwise, it's a private "home" and comes under the heading "Black Ops" (or is that Black OOPS?). Maybe you should be thinking about coming?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vermont CX/GL/ST 2017
The cabin opens Thursday evening, but you can arrive and sit on the porch anytime Thursday! It’s the odd year again, 2017, so that means we gather in Brookfield Vt for MC comraderie, rural riding & unhealthy eating and drinking. We ALWAYS have “designated” riders, yuk yuk. Seriously, the drinking for those who are inclined to imbibe, is after the days riding has ended, the stories have started and the burgers are on the grille. We’re looking forward to seeing some old friends and some new (hopefully better looking!) ones too. Ride in, trailer in, ship your bike and fly in, just get here. It’s the best time of the year for Vermont riding, cool mornings, warm sunny days, family vacations are over, kids are back in school, and leaf peeping traffic hasn’t started yet. We’ll have mornings and evenings to BS bikes, and plenty of riding to fill Friday and Saturday. The cost is Yankee Frugal, no cabin or camping fees, donations to cover the breakfasts and evening meals, lunch on the road as you please. BYOB, and it’s not a “Dry County” either, so you can purchase locally. Will your state be represented this year? More info to follow as we get closer.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I will be thinking of you guys and remembering how great the rally's I made it to were. I am in the center of New Mexico this summer and fall and will not be able to make it up there to Vermont much as I would like to. Have fun!

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I plan on being there early Friday evening, so make sure Kevin has the beer chilled upon my arrival........:D

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vermont Legislature passed this in 1999, it's the law, so we have to obey it!

NO. 15. AN ACT RELATING TODESIGNATING THE STATE PIE AND THE STATE FRUIT.
(H.302)
It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State ofVermont:
Sec. 1. 1 V.S.A. § 512 is added to read:
§ 512. STATE PIE
The state pie shall be apple pie.
Sec. 2. SERVING APPLE PIE
When serving apple pie in Vermont, a "good faith"effort shall be made to meet one or more of the following conditions:
(a) with a glass of cold milk,
(b) with a slice of cheddar cheese weighing a minimum of1/2 ounce,
(c) with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Sec. 3. 1 V.S.A. § 513 is added to read:
§ 513. STATE FRUIT
The state fruit shall be the apple.
Approved: May 10, 1999

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Pretty sure the Google Maps image is of the 2013 rally Rich. JT's Subaru (not Dakota), absence of my motorhome are the clues I used.
Pie!

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys! I'm down in NH and would def be interested in attending part of this if I can! May not be able to stay multiple nights, but am waaaay glad to catch this post this late in the game! Please include me in any group emails or whatever you've got going on - [email protected]

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The general info is above in this thread, once the PA Rally is in the history books I'll be promoting Vermont more. Anyone who has not been to it before can get detailed directions by emailing me at motorcycleguy DOT rich AT gmail.com. I do this to keep the NJ riffraff confused!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Looks like this is only a couple of hours from me. What would I need to bring for gear? Due to the Bobberish nature of my bike im pretty much limited to a backpack

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most basically, if you plan to stay overnight, a sleeping bag or blanket, cash for food and gas and your preferred toiletries. There are a limited number of beds, a sofa, floors and two porches for sleeping. Earplugs could be useful if you are a light sleeper. Plenty of lawn for camping too. We have a shower, an indoor and an outdoor bathroom, well water, smallish refrigerator, stove, electricity etc. Generally we cook brkfst and dinner at the cabin, lunch on the road during day rides. A washer and dryer as well as tools in the basement. No one has ever died at this place and very few ever suffered. Welcome!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Three weeks and a day to the opening shot of the 2017 New England CX/GL/ST Rally! The camp/cabin should be open late afternoon Thursday Sept 14th, but earlier arrivals are welcome to hang out on the porch. Hot food will begin Thursday evening. The place will be occupied until Sunday later in the day or evening. We're planning on some early fall rural touring Friday and Saturday, likely brkfst and dinner at the cabin, as the "regulars" will remember. Ride in, trailer or truck in, whatever, just don't miss it, next one will be 2019. I found a note to self from 2015, don't lead the guys over Chelsea Mtn Rd late in the afternoon, into the setting sun. Now I just have to remember what that was all about . . . Looking forward to seeing some old friends and making some new ones.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Planning on riding up after work Thursday, leaving Sunday morning.

Reactions: richnct

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brookfield is within 100 miles (a tankful on a CX500C) of most of New England, parts of New York and some of Canada. Sheeeet, when we're RIDING to get someplace we do that before stopping for breakfast! We always have a great time, don't be sorry afterward 'cause you didn't come! It's a frugal enough weekend to please even the most parsimonious CX/GL riding yankee. New England is where the first of the HTTA rallys began (blame Phil/Springfield, VT). Where the first north american CX/GL chapter moved from "online" to "on road"! It's been "International" since the very first one began drawing the Canucks down on their classic transverse V-Twins lo those many years ago. Come meet a few of the old timers, and some exciting newer members too! Can't predict what might show up, but we've had virtually ALL the CX/GL models here at one time or another, including some rarer 500 and 650 Turbos and EuroSport 650s (a pair one year) and everything that came before. Come to sit on the porch and eat cheeseburgers washed down with your favorite byob (which might be coffee, who am I to judge?) as the sun sets. Wake up to the fog lifting out of the valley below and a hearty artery clogging breakfast, as we spread the maps out in anticipation of the days ride. And sometimes to wait for the frost to melt off the bike seats. It's late for summer and early for fall, the perfect time to ride rural Vermont's hills, gaps and valleys.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Will your neighbor Bill be around with his great maple syrup ? Always worth buying his award winning syrup.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope so, I will see him to make an "appointment". He's a hoot, and he knows he's part of the entertainment too! Great maple syrup, he boils down a couple hundred gallons a year in a gas lamp lit dirt floor sugar shack a half mile back on a jeep trail, down in a holler of course . . . He lives in the woods in a small cabin by hisself with draft horses and chickens (in their own sheds) and no electricity. I'll have to find out how he does at the 146th Tunbridge World's Fair, the judging is the Thursday the Rally starts. He has taken First Prize a number of years, no small feat in Vermont. The TWF runs 9/14-9/17 (same schedule as our Rally) and is only 12 miles away by gravel, (26m by asphalt). If someone was coming earlier Thursday they could go there for a visit to kill some time. Old fashioned country fair, with a 1 mile oval track. Two weeks and two days to go! :D

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nature Property Sky Tree Grass
Early morning from the front porch, Brookfield, VT

1 - 20 of 80 Posts