Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed one of those "oem-replica" seat covers from ebay. For $65 bucks shipped, it's well worth it.
A previous owner repaired the seat on my 650T by cutting out the center section and stitching in a new one...probably to preserve the pinstripe and lettering. It was professionally done but never looked quite right as the center material was a bit thicker than the original and wasn't even close to the factory texture.

The new vinyl is dead on perfect to the original and the pinstripe/lettering is also excellent. Only downside is that it's made out of separate sections giving it seams. If they made it in one formed piece, it would be indistinguishable from the original.

This pics below show it next to my near perfect 500T seat (on right). Good alternative to paying a fortune for a new seat and then hoping it isn't getting brittle. I think someone once mentioned the pinstripe was way off on these, but as you can see from the pictures, that's not true. Also interesting that 61 of these covers have been sold...too bad the owners don't participate in this forum.

Glasses Eyewear Floor Flooring Shoe

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper part Bicycle saddle

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks good - can you give us a link?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honda Turbo CX500TC CX500 TC 1982 CX650T CX650 T 1983 Seat Cover HSCS | eBay

Just finished installing it last night, so I haven't put any miles on it. Vinyl appears to be the same thickness with the same type of backing.

I see they only list covers for the Turbo, Eurosport and the Standard. They say they'll make you a free cover if you send them an original to pattern it off of. Might be a good deal for a Custom, Deluxe or GL owner. Mine was shipped out of Singapore. I'm guessing copyright laws are different there which is why they are so close to the originals including the Honda logo.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Staples, same as original. I used T50 ¼" staples in a heavy duty gun, although a pneumatic staple gun would be the way to go. Problem areas are where the mounts are and the front of the seat. I think the plastic up front is thicker as I could not get the staples to penetrate and I could not get the gun in-between the mounts and seat. For those areas I used short nickel plated push pins (like thumbtacks). You can buy a box for less than a dollar at your local hardware store.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Honda Turbo CX500TC CX500 TC 1982 CX650T CX650 T 1983 Seat Cover HSCS | eBay

Just finished installing it last night, so I haven't put any miles on it. Vinyl appears to be the same thickness with the same type of backing.

I see they only list covers for the Turbo, Eurosport and the Standard. They say they'll make you a free cover if you send them an original to pattern it off of. Might be a good deal for a Custom, Deluxe or GL owner. Mine was shipped out of Singapore. I'm guessing copyright laws are different there which is why they are so close to the originals including the Honda logo.
They also do the GL650.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GL650...cles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416586a1d1..I had sent just my cover(GL650) to them and they copied mine and sent me a new one.....When I was going to ship them my CX650e cover they wanted the whole seat to copy.
friggen expensive but they tossed in cash to help me cover the cost(so that they could have a pattern),copied mine and then put it on for me ,and shipped it back....took a long time for it to get from here to there.and I ended up selling my E before I could mount the seat...it did look pretty good though....I asked why they copied and replicated mine in two pieces,their answer was that it would be easier for the customer to install (?)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The guy I e-mailed said that they are willing to make one piece covers (after I bought mine, of course).

I prefer to mount one piece anyway, two piece units are more fragile.
I was not impressed with their "wing" construction. Mine tore with almost no effort, and this is the third Turbo/Euro seat that I have covered.
Their design was far more problematic than the others I have installed.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just bought one of these and have yet to install it. The Kawasaki form buys seat covers from these guys for the 750 turbo and they have given very good reviews so I thought I would give them a shot. I did not see this thread and I ordered without looking closely, so I did not realize it was not a one piece cover. If mine turns out as good as the pics in this thread, I will be happy.

I did notice that there is another supplier on ebay that does a one piece cover. His has no stencil on it though. The stencil mask can be ordered from BD designs and you can put the stencil on yourself.

1980's Honda Decals
CX500TC Seat Cover for Honda CX500 CX650T CX650TC 194 | eBay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.