Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Honda CX world but not to bikes. Sold an '84 Suzuki about 6 years ago and have wanted another old bike since then. Stumbled onto a 78 CX500 from a kid that was having some electrical and carb issues with the bike and didn't want to take the time to figure it out. "I just want a new bike" he says lol! He had taken the bike almost down to the frame before he realized he didn't know what he was doing and didn't want to learn. So he sold me the pile of parts for $50 and a six pack of IPAs. And here I am ... looking forward learning and making this bike a scrambler for me and my little boy to play on 馃榿馃榿

Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
First thing I'd do is download the factory manual. You should be able to get it from the forum. Next is to copy the parts diagrams from CMSL. That'll get you started as the last is to lay out all the parts and using the factory manual and parts diagram you can then start to bag or box them together until you can reassemble everything. I know because I was looking for a GL500 engine, found one and in the process of buying it got thrown a 78 CX500 frame and engine. The only reason I said, okay, was they guy selling it actually had a title to it. So for the same $200 I took them. Unfortunately some previous owner was trying to build a street racer and so it's missing a bunch of parts and parts don't go to it. I am slowly getting things straightened out. Sometime next spring I should have it running.
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive tire Gas Wood Bag Luggage and bags

Registered
If you havent done a rebuild before.....lots of ice-cream containers/plastic bags and permanent markers help you remember what is what

Registered
And a digital camera helps you remember how it all fitted together.

Sketches too.
Yeah especially if it takes months to years for the resurrection......or owners years advancing. .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for the welcome and advise! I bought the Clymer for the bike and like you suggested I've been labeling and taking pics like a madman. I have a whole folder in my phone already titled "CX500" haha! This website has already been a huge help even before I joined and I'm sure it will continue to be. I'll post some before pics just in case the curiosity peaks and you guys wanna see what I'm wrestling for the next year or so. Thank again!!

Super Moderator
Reactions: bahn88

Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable before it was taken apart, let alone what has been messed up in that process so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
Note that the Clymer book is OK as a secondary reference but the factory manuals for this family of bikes are particularly well written and organized so that should always be your primary reference.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

Registered
Nice to see I am not the only new dufus here! hahahaha. My story is similar to several above: picked up a 1980 CX500 Custom about 50% assembled (translated to 50% of the parts removed and in boxes... poorly labelled). To add complications, previous owner had dismantled a different year and model CX and got rid of most of the big parts so what was left in the small parts collection could be CX500 Custom and some could be ???
I hope you do not mind me posting this with your post, but I did so because it sounds like the replies (if any) might help you as well. I found the illustrations of "Cable and Harness Routing" in one of the service manuals but am having difficulty with the placement of two guides. In the parts diagrams on many vendor sites, they show the parts in an exploded view which basically hint at the location and don't actually show it. I am including two photos, an illustration I found somewhere, and a copy of a vendor's parts diagram for my year. Can anyone provide a "correct" photo of the placement of these two guides? In the vendor diagram, it looks like the number 15 goes on left side of frame but another site shows it on the right. The other guide I believe is number 16 and looks to go on the right side but I can't see how it fits. The cup (half moon cut out) does not fit the gas tank tab. Anyway. I hope this helps Moneysink as well. (Perfect name for this project!) And thanks to all!

Attachments

Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
The parts in question appear to be unique to the Custom model with its bolted front tank mounts.
Maybe a later model year. These guides seem to vary a bit, year to year. I'll take a look at the '79 Custom on my bench.

Registered
Nice to see I am not the only new dufus here! hahahaha. My story is similar to several above: picked up a 1980 CX500 Custom about 50% assembled (translated to 50% of the parts removed and in boxes... poorly labelled). To add complications, previous owner had dismantled a different year and model CX and got rid of most of the big parts so what was left in the small parts collection could be CX500 Custom and some could be ???
I hope you do not mind me posting this with your post, but I did so because it sounds like the replies (if any) might help you as well. I found the illustrations of "Cable and Harness Routing" in one of the service manuals but am having difficulty with the placement of two guides. In the parts diagrams on many vendor sites, they show the parts in an exploded view which basically hint at the location and don't actually show it. I am including two photos, an illustration I found somewhere, and a copy of a vendor's parts diagram for my year. Can anyone provide a "correct" photo of the placement of these two guides? In the vendor diagram, it looks like the number 15 goes on left side of frame but another site shows it on the right. The other guide I believe is number 16 and looks to go on the right side but I can't see how it fits. The cup (half moon cut out) does not fit the gas tank tab. Anyway. I hope this helps Moneysink as well. (Perfect name for this project!) And thanks to all!
you would be far better off post on the tech forum rather than piggy-backing on this thread. It gets confusing trying to help two bikes in one space. Personally I think the intro threads should be just that, not a tech help/learning thread.

Registered
you would be far better off post on the tech forum rather than piggy-backing on this thread. It gets confusing trying to help two bikes in one space. Personally I think the intro threads should be just that, not a tech help/learning thread.
Thanks for the tip. I'll avoid piggy-backing in the future.

Registered
Don't just keep those important photos on your phone. So many ways to kill a cel phone.
Download them into computer, maybe print too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts