Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm thinking about acquiring a CX500. I much prefer the Deluxe model, but the Custom variant is far more plentiful. I really don't like the pullback/buckhorn handlebars on the Custom (I prefer more of a standard riding position). Has anyone ever replaced the standard Custom bars with something like the Emgo Daytona Touring bars, and how easy would that be to do?

Thanks!
Bob in St. Paul

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
48 Posts
I bought bikemaster Daytona bars but when I got them they seemed way too low compared to the stock bars (I just eyeballed it, I didn’t go so far as to actually install and ride them).

I returned those and got these bike master Ltd bars. I haven’t put them on yet but they look to be kind of in between the deluxe and custom bars. They should allow the same cables to be used too.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,070 Posts
Welcome, Bob! I see you're not too far away. We have a sizeable contingent here in the Twin Cities.
Regarding the handlebar swap, it's pretty straightforward. Maybe an hour if you don't rush. If you find the Daytona bars too low, a set of risers might help. Or a taller bar, as Charles suggested.
If you're on the tall side, you might look for a '78 or '79 Standard. The seat is higher off the pegs than on either the Custom or Deluxe.

Reactions: cubfanbob

·
Registered
1980 CX500CB Brat
35 Posts
Me got Renthals. It’s probably not the most comfy position, but it looks cool

·
Registered
1982 gl500
109 Posts
Watch out when doing the swap, the OE controls have a pin/tab built into them you need to remove, or you need to drill a locating hole in the bottom of the bars. If you don't do one of those you can crack the controls when installing them.
Some OEM bars do have the hole already, but few of the aftermarket bars do.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The higher rise OEM bars will suit most people ergonomically given seat and foot-peg position.
IMHO-If you had a Std/Deluxe CX the handlebar change over might be more straightforward.

I do like the flatter bars...and have "superbike" type bars on both bikes I own (my profile pic is pre-change-over).....maybe consider a compromise....in rise and pull-back...those in #3 and #4 seem "middle-ground"..(no offence to the dragbar owners...;))

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Many of us don't like the ends of the bars to be as close to straight back as the ones on the Custom and SilverWing and have changed to ones that allow a more natural wrist angle and a few have replaced their bars to change the height or for the way they look (this latter can, if comfort is not also considered, make you not want to spend much time on the bike).

How low your bars can be is often a factor of how arthritic you are. I find that I prefer my bars to be just comfortably below shoulder height so I can sit more or less upright with just a bit of forward lean.

BTW: It's not just your back that can hurt if you don't gt the height right. My CX650E based machine is not the first Eurosport model I mounted a Honda Interstate fairing on for winter use; The first one was a GS400ED and its original bars were too low for the fairing too so I tweaked a set of bars of unknown provenance that I had so that their ends were close to the angle of the GoldWing's bars, installed my handlebar heaters and they have been on every winter machine I've had for the last 26 years.
I used to have pain in my knees occasionally if I spent much more than 1/2 hour on the CX650E based machine (it was mostly used for my 25 minute commute) but I could sit on the GoldWing for hours so one day I compared the feet/seat/hands relationships between the bikes. The feet/seat part was almost the same but the bars were a couple of inches lower and farther forward so I installed some 2" bar risers and it is much more comfortable on the occasional longer ride.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
109 Posts
I have an early goldwing bar that is just about perfect in terms of wrist angle while maintaining the stock silverwing height. They are weighted and have the control locating holes.

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
I've got two 500Cs.

I don't like pullback bars either.

My blue 500C has drag bars on 5 inch risers - though this will change in due course.

The other is fitted with the stock bars from the 500D. Same height, but much less pull back.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Swapping the bars themselves is the easy and cheap part. Getting the existed cables, wiring, and brake lines re-routed or buying and installing new cables/lines is the hard and more expensive part. Here are my '80 CX Deluxe and '82 GL, both with diff bars and a variety of cable routes. The Deluxe uses a cable off a GL for now since the original was rusted.

For bars, the GL has an emgo bar, the Deluxe has a $1 swap meet find.

Whatever you use, make sure the center straight section is long enough. For mine, the GL is 4.5" and the CX is 4.75"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts