Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, back again for another round. =)

The long story of my motorcycle troubles is posted here under this thread: http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to..._+valves++how++much__fromsearch__1#entry31351

Following some fantastic ideas from forum members I bought a new battery (the old one was on its last leg anyway), and new spark plugs (they are cheap, why not) and I checked for spark by pulling the plugs and grounding to the frame ( seems like good healthy spark). I had a shop do a compression test on the engine and they said I had 90 psi in the left and 125 in the right. Blindstitch seemed to think this should be good enough to start the bike, especially since it was done on a stone cold engine. I sure would like to do a test myself or see it done to be sure, but I don't have a tester. Does anyone know where I could rent one? Or maybe if it is cheap (20$ish) buy one?

I thought the bike might not be getting fuel somehow, so i sprayed some carb cleaner down the intakes and tried to start her. I can get the bike to run for a few seconds (5-10 seconds) by doing this. I figured it might be a carb problem, so i pulled the carbs and took them all apart, but when I did I found them clean as a dinner plate on the inside. No gas crud, calcium, rust, or anything (PO must have cleaned them?). I pulled all the jets anyway, looked through all of them, sprayed some cleaner through just to feel like i was doing something and put the carbs back on the bike.

I attached a crude milk gallon gas tank to the carbs, thinking it might be a problem with the petcock(?) and got the bike to start by spraying some carb cleaner down the intakes again, with the auxillary gas tank connected, tried starting and it ran the same as with just carb cleaner. 5-10 secs and dies. Doesn't seem to be getting any gas in the cylinders.?

Any thoughts? I am reaching the limits of my mechanical troubleshooting knowledge, but I know there are guys on here who know these bikes inside and out. I call desperately to you through cyberspace! =)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Obviously you're not getting fuel into the carbs, that or the jets are totally plugged which is almost impossible to see just from a quick visual inspection. Make sure your bowls are filling up, it's easy enough to tell if you open the bowl bleeds to see if there's gas in there.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Same opinion. It's carb related. I have seen several that have sat for a few years just to develop an amber looking gel substance from the leftover gas in the jets. If the bike starts and runs briefly of starting fluid like it does then that says it isn't the engine side.

The carbs really should be treated like a new to you car. Sure it looks ok on the outside but that could be frebreez covering up the dead fish under the seats. There has to be something in your carbs stopping the flow of gas.

Did you verify that the floats were moving up and down? There are two sides to fuel going to the engine. Tank to carb bowls and bowls to intake. If the fuel needles are stuck then that would eliminate the one side. On the other side a crude examination of the carbs and the use of a thin wire should make it possible to prove fuel has a way to the inside of the carbs.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have seen several that have sat for a few years just to develop an amber looking gel substance from the leftover gas in the jets

I absolutely hate that stuff when it happens and it's almost the same color as the jets. Berryman B-12 will dissolve it over time but the only proper way to get it out is Larry's way. I have not yet equated guitar string sizes to jet sizes but it's a method we used in the old days on car jets to at least get them open enough such that you could open them up enough that a good soaking in cleaner would finally get the rest. I don't even think they sell the old 5 gallon buckets of carb cleaner anymore but they were great as they had a basket and a good seal to close the container back up. A 5 gallon barrel would last for a long time but I suppose due to VOC rules they took them off the market.

http://www.daddario.com

Guess they still do in 3/4 gallon and 5 gallon but you've got to get the basket by itself for the 5 gallon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=B0002KKIIC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r

=14398QF7QX7K2Y35B0GQ

So it should be available locally at some auto parts stores, more than likely only NAPA though.

It still is the really potent stuff unless you live in California where they've substituted 2-butoxyethanol as the main solvent, hardly a replacement and in my opinion a far inferior product as it's basically more of a detergent than a cleaning solvent.

When are we going to give CA back to Mexico where it belongs? Offense is actually intended in that statement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts