Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here are some pics of the 1.9 mi. CX500TC Collector / Investment grade bike. Plan to keep the 5800 / mi. CX650TD as a rider after cleaning it up a bit. Have to say that I was ecstatic when seeing it in person. Took delivery as the original owner from the dealership. She won't be ridden -only shown on rare occasion. Thank you Pete !!!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well congrats then!! Least you got to check this one out in person!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, but after being burned on the 650TD from Cape Cod, MA which was not a Collector / Investment grade as promised by the previous owner, I drove up to verify that this bike was legit. It is... You can find Hupf's Honda Hut on the web. Jerry & Nichole Hupf sold their dealership after 26 years but held on to this bike as part of the deal. The new dealership is now called Beaver Dam Honda.

·
Registered
658 Posts
yes, but after being burned on the 650TD from Cape Cod, MA which was not a Collector / Investment grade as promised by the previous owner, I drove up to verify that this bike was legit. It is... You can find Hupf's Honda Hut on the web. Jerry & Nichole Hupf sold their dealership after 26 years but held on to this bike as part of the deal. The new dealership is now called Beaver Dam Honda.

I saw the bike on CL and immediately thought of Guy... I gave him a phone call, but he was reluctant because of the 650T deal... After a few days he made the committment to drive and look at the bike. From the way it sounds it paid off big time!

PK

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Wow really nice bike.

The price seams to be high but consider this :

The list price was around 5000 Us dollar. If you had put that money on the bank with a moderate interest rate of 4% then your savings would be worth today around 15000 US dollar enough to buy this new bike and a really nice one to ride

So as an investment the CX500 Turbo is not really good

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, let me say this... Perhaps I should have used the words Collector / Museum Quality bike vs. Investment. bike. I'm into these bikes for the love of it, technology they represent for the early 80's, the limited numbers produced, & probably the biggest reason is that I owned one when I was a teenager & have been kicking myself for selling it ever since -kinda' a nostalgic / sentimental thing. Sorry for the confusion & hope this clears it up. Hope to find those old pictures of it & pass this down to my son with the history intact. Does anyone know if there's another CX500TC with lower miles anywhere ? Just asking...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ok, let me say this... Perhaps I should have used the words Collector / Museum Quality bike vs. Investment. bike. I'm into these bikes for the love of it, technology they represent for the early 80's, the limited numbers produced, & probably the biggest reason is that I owned one when I was a teenager & have been kicking myself for selling it ever since -kinda' a nostalgic / sentimental thing. Sorry for the confusion & hope this clears it up. Hope to find those old pictures of it & pass this down to my son with the history intact. Does anyone know if there's another CX500TC with lower miles anywhere ? Just asking...

Guy ... - YOU WIN

Game over... Now I'm sulking in my misery. I thought 69 miles was good?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it weren't for you being so persistent convincing me to drive up there last week, this would have never happened. It's all your fault I made a "bad investment". Guessing the CBX'ers that have all original "new" collector bikes like this from 79' aren't complaining about the $20,000+ they're worth now. I'll never sell it anyway so it won't be my problem -leave that up the heir. Thanks again !

·
Registered
658 Posts
"Guessing the CBX'ers that have all original "new" collector bikes like this from 79' aren't complaining about the $20,000+ they're worth now. I'll never sell it anyway so it won't be my problem -leave that up the heir. Thanks again !"

[/quote]

That's exactly why I say they will be going up in value... They will follow the CBX..

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you had put 30k into investment in 1985 instead of buying a Ferrari 308GTSI Quattrovalve you would have a nice nest egg also. However, what is the cost for the enjoyment of having that fine piece of craftsmanship which is years ahead of its time?

It's all in the way you look at it. I myself love the CXT and it will someday sit next to a "magnum" car...

PK

·
Registered
845 Posts
$5K into $15K sounds pretty impressive until you factor in that $5K in 1982 is equal to about $11,300 today. So sitting on the starting point equivalent of over $11K for 28 years to get a $3700 return sounds kinda pathetic to me. And if time stood still, that $5K investment would be worth $6,640.

$10K was a killer deal for that bike. Factor in inflation and you paid $1300 less than what it cost new and that's not including an additional $500+ in taxes, doc and prep fees that you would have paid when new.

What will it be worth 10 to 20 years from now? Who knows...20 years ago there were a lot of killjoys laughing at guys for buying late 60s and early 70s Mopars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Glad it found a local home.

Would you be interested in this centerfold ad I have from Feb 1982?

·
Registered
658 Posts
[quote name='WisconsinCX' date='26 August 2010 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1282855444' post='8090']

Glad it found a local home.

Would you be interested in this centerfold ad I have from Feb 1982?

I would have much rather had it found a home in Lincoln NE !

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
question is this is the new owner going to ride it or just let it sit and do nothing with it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Owner has a 5800 mile original owner CX650TD as "rider" & will not ride the NEW CX500TC -show only factory new never registered collector.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$5K into $15K sounds pretty impressive until you factor in that $5K in 1982 is equal to about $11,300 today. So sitting on the starting point equivalent of over $11K for 28 years to get a $3700 return sounds kinda pathetic to me. And if time stood still, that $5K investment would be worth $6,640.

$10K was a killer deal for that bike. Factor in inflation and you paid $1300 less than what it cost new and that's not including an additional $500+ in taxes, doc and prep fees that you would have paid when new.

What will it be worth 10 to 20 years from now? Who knows...20 years ago there were a lot of killjoys laughing at guys for buying late 60s and early 70s Mopars.

Negotiated purchase price to $9000 & if it ever escalates like those old Mopars on Barrett-Jackson (which I don't anticipate ?), it may be a more difficult decision in 20 years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats Boost on your find, my CX-T has about 70000 ckicks on it but is in nice shape and rebuilt (motor I`m told by the previous owner), It has allowed me to experience this bike that was allways in the back of my mind since it came out. I`m glad the virgin bike went to someone that can appreciate it and also nice that you have the 650 to ride. The thing about the 500 T is that one can also enjoy the bike just by looking at it.Enjoy, you have a rare bird there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts