Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on the forum and figured I'd make an intro post. I bought my '81 CX500C (Jenny) in September 2017 from a local C-List seller for $600. It was in fair running condition when I first got it and came with a Windjammer SS that had clearly seen many years of the elements along with some pavement. There was a huge crease in the fuel tank I pulled with a stud welder and a slide hammer. Carbs looked surprisingly well—just needed a cleaning. Plus many other small things.

I couldn't have timed taking on this project any better as I was unemployed by October and had about 2 months worth of TLC to give before winter would put it on hold. My vision is a utilitarian 'mini-wing' or 'bronze(?)-wing' for short jaunts to northern MN and Canada. I got too excited and never took any good 'before' pics, but I hope to get a build post up some day.

Rust removal and paint was a good way to do something productive whilst disassembling the bike. To my surprise, aluminum foil and Diet Coke works and has taken away the bulk of the surface rust. Evaporust has bathed probably half the nuts and bolts and took care of much of the difficult rust. RustOleum's black Appliance Epoxy has proven to be exceptional value at about $3 per can. I've baked it onto a number of parts including: the front suspension lowers, the faded handlebar controls, side and center stands, and other small bits. It even cut, polished, and waxed nicely as a single-stage on the fuel tank and plastic side covers. This stuff does take forever to dry and re-coat when not baking it and is very picky about humidity, but the finish is better than factory in most of the places I used it.

Fairly recently, I was fortunate enough to come across someone selling a 'like new' Windjammer SS for $25 from Eau Claire, WI. It had been sitting in a basement since it was immediately removed from a newly-purchased early-model Goldwing. It was a far sight better than the old one and vastly improved the bike's appearance (well... as much as you can improve the aesthetic of a bike with a Vetter fairing on it).

I'm looking forward to getting back into the build and getting ready to ride for the year. I've learned so much from the forum so far and hope to soon start becoming more active to return the favor. I also hope to meet some of the other, local CX500 enthusiasts on here. My thanks, also extends to 4into1 simply for existing. I've been burned by a few other stores (please avoid Caltric unless you want incorrect parts) and 4into1 has consistently been a pleasure to work with in every situation.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Welcome, Boogiesox!

What part of Minneapolis? We've got a pretty good local crew here. You can meet some of them on May 19th at the 11th annual Spring Ride and Barbecue.

If you need anything for your restoration, I might have it in the garage.

R

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! And thanks for the kind offer, Randall. I'm in the south metro near Powderhorn Park.

I regret not taking "before" pics; guess I was too eager to make progress, but I managed a few when painting:

IMG-3491.JPG
All pulled apart for winter. Rust is gone with plenty of inhibitor and rubberized stuff on the exposed bits. All dressed up with that sweet, sweet 'jammer SS.

IMG-3101.JPG
Pulling and flattening minor dents.

IMG-3260.JPG
Some filler over the big crease after pulling with a slide hammer (it's on much thinner than it looks).

IMG-3340.JPG
Paint and wet sanding down. Time to cut and polish.

IMG-3345.JPG
A very smooth and durable single-stage finish for very little $$$. That is, if you want black.
A more important note–that banana made great banana bread in case anyone was wondering.

IMG-3364.JPG
Works just as well on plastic too but I had to wait 2 weeks between coats.

IMG-3155.JPG
Same paint baked on to the greenish, faded controls.

IMG-3153.JPG
Getting really pedantic with this repainting thing.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am not far from you, 36th Ave 32nd St.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good deal; 40th St. and 13th Ave. If you (or anyone nearby) are ever in need of a stud welder, a DIY manometer with vacuum adapters, learning the art of baking RustOleum Appliance Epoxy with an outdoor toaster oven, or just a helping hand, let me know.

See you around.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Good deal; 40th St. and 13th Ave. If you (or anyone nearby) are ever in need of a stud welder, a DIY manometer with vacuum adapters, learning the art of baking RustOleum Appliance Epoxy with an outdoor toaster oven, or just a helping hand, let me know.

See you around.
Cool! I am a Studio Potter and have several means of getting things hot (2300*F) with a couple gas kilns and different gas and propane burners.
We can join forces! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Me too...

Since yesterday I got a GL500...

At the moment I'm living in north east minneapolis, Hopefully for not much longer right off broadway with the man holes on every corner, not even chicago is this loud..

total HackaMoto material..
A2A1F45F-4F37-4326-95D0-B8062ED1C9D4-X2.jpg

This will be about my 25th motorcycle, maybe 27th, the slowest and oldest but I have always want one..

·
Registered
413 Posts
NE Mpls

Me too...

Since yesterday I got a GL500...

At the moment I'm living in north east minneapolis, Hopefully for not much longer right off broadway with the man holes on every corner, not even chicago is this loud..

total HackaMoto material..

This will be about my 25th motorcycle, maybe 27th, the slowest and oldest but I have always want one..
Diamonds Coffee Shop-Just N on Central from Broadway-Group of Antique MC Qwners (all brands) have coffee (all are welcome)
8;30-10:30 Sat morn. Weather permitting my R100 will be there.
Paul

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Diamonds Coffee Shop-Just N on Central from Broadway-Group of Antique MC Qwners (all brands) have coffee (all are welcome)
Paul
Saturday is the only morning I sleep in until 8am. Maybe I'll change it to Sunday Morning.
The AJMC on Second Mondays 7pm (same place) is easier. I realized, getting there by 6pm is better for socializing
It be great to get some kind of Face to Face regular meeting of the Twisted Twin Cities!

Map To Diamonds https://goo.gl/maps/HsLworVScnGZX3Jh7
Diamonds Web Page https://diamondscoffeeshoppe.com/

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Me too...

You live in the most recently Artists Gentrified neighborhood in the Twin Cities. ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Paul
Paul, I plan on dropping by before going to the Scottish Festival. Will you be at Diamonds? 8:30am?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
You live in the most recently Artists Gentrified neighborhood in the Twin Cities. ;)
Still pretty weak in terms of "Starving Artist hot chick" types..

I'm just renting, waiting to find my own house, but not around here, definitely way to overpriced for what you get..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts