Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased my 1982 CX500 yesterday. It was a bit slow to turn over on the starter but as soon as she started she was fine. I purchased the bike, in the first 5 miles I stopped twice to ask for directions and fuel the bike. I then rode 85 miles home on dipped beam and heated grips on with no problems at all. Arrived home, switched her off. Had a cup of tea, went to start her up, nothing, completely dead! No warnning lights illuminating, no lights, horn nothing. Last night I removed the battery,charged it on my optimate charger. It was on yellow and this morning green indicating a good battery. I refitted the battery and still nothing. I've checked the 2 fuses on the handlebar and they're ok.

I'm at a loss on what to do next?
I don't have a voltmeter or knowledge of using them and I've no idea where the main fuse is to check it!
Is it worth buying a new battery?
The bike seems to be in very good condition and the wiring under the seat seems in good order.
I also don't yet have a service manual.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you
Aled

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
It is likely the main fuse. Located by the solenoid/battery area. There were several different original styles, but all would benefit from a "Main Fuse Modification". Just follow the link to the wiki.

Reactions: Aled

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
As Blue Fox stated its near the soleniod (close to the battery) and is far better to replace the old blade fuse (looks like a strip of metal) with the standard car type ones. As for the meter ...... seriously, BUY ONE and I think there is even a tutorial on how to use it on the WIKI site. A meter is probably one of the most important tools you can have, unless you are the type who takes his bike to the shop to have air put in the tires LOL

Seriously, its an invaluable tool, and they are not expensive (can get some for $10-$20 .... or go nuts and spend $1200 like me [needed for work]). Once you learn how to use it, which wont take long at all, it will make life so much easier and actually save $$$$ in the long run. As for the battery, the only way to tell if its OK is with a meter. Charge it up, put in bike, turn to ON position (headlight on) and leave it 10 min and check the battery voltage..... if its less that 12V the battery is crap.

Reactions: Aled

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is likely the main fuse. Located by the solenoid/battery area. There were several different original styles, but all would benefit from a "Main Fuse Modification". Just follow the link to the wiki.
Thank you very much for the reply. Very helpful indeed. I found the main fuse as directed, played about with it and now power is restored! I agree it would be wise to modify it. But for tonight I'm happy to of found the cause of the fault and for now at least power is restored!

Kind regards
Aled

1 - 4 of 4 Posts