Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running into a lot of problems installing the new clutch cable.

I've searched and searched, and find no solid instruction on how to install it.

The pics/threads that I have found, all show different setups, which add to the confusion.

I guess, I can start with the questions/problems I am having from the start.

Where do I start? I assume near the clutch cover. Install the peg, but what about the 2 nuts there? do they both go on the top of the bracket there? I've seen some pics with 1 on top, 1 on the bottom.

Where should my clutch lever be? when released, when engaged?

checked the manual, and it only explains maintenance, adjusting.

I just need to know where to start, good rough setups, etc - then I can fine tune at the end.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's how the clutch lever sits without spring resistance.

Question #1, when installing the new cable to the clutch lever end. Should the clutch lever be pulled clockwise for spring strain, or counter-clockwise?

Clockwise?

Counter-Clockwise?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Not having done a clutch job before, my vote would be pic#1 as, when you pull the lever, it goes up, therefore the correct "winding" of the "throw-out" bearing should be clockwise.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Clockwise on the spring. You should encounter hard resistance when the lever gets to around the 9 o'clock position. Thats when the mushroom button is just starting to compress the springs.

Both nuts on top. They are used to lock each other together.

Reactions: hurley

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
Yes, clockwise, and the two nuts go on top. Put the cable in the arm first and then twist the lever up with a crescent wrench and put the cable housing into the slot.

Reactions: hurley

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clockwise on the spring. You should encounter hard resistance when the lever gets to around the 9 o'clock position. Thats when the mushroom button is just starting to compress the springs.

Both nuts on top. They are used to lock each other together.

that is what I thought. So, "free" it should sit about 9 o'clock, engaged, about 11? I am just unclear how much resistance I should be looking for. I had it set up like this earlier, but the mushroom rubber thingy was really jamming up, almost to the point it was restraining the engaged position.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I am getting resistance about 7 o'clock when going clockwise, then a lot of resistance by the time I hit 9 o'clock. With the arm/lever turned clockwise, end popped in and bolt in housing, this is what it looks like. Is it possible I have my spring set up wrong on the inside of the clutch cover? something looks very "off" here...

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
It shouldn't see much resistance until it gets to 9 o'clock. I think you have the actuator set wrong inside the clutch cover and it's engaging the mushroom button inside too early.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It shouldn't see much resistance until it gets to 9 o'clock. I think you have the actuator set wrong inside the clutch cover and it's engaging the mushroom button inside too early.

that's what I thought. It looks like I'll be taking some steps backwards in a moment, unless these pics look right (with cable fully installed to grip)

open

engaged

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
mine,clutch lever out

and clutch lever pulled in

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
that's what I thought. It looks like I'll be taking some steps backwards in a moment, unless these pics look right (with cable fully installed to grip)

open

engaged

This looks normal to me.

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
You'll be ok. When you get the bike running you'll know more.

But not all the levers end up in the same position. As long as the clutch engages and doesn't slip you'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, took the clutch cover off. I don't see how the spring could be in wrong. Like I said, it's un-restrained at 6 o'clock. 7 o'clock is when the spring starts becoming resistant. I have the spring latched to the proper spot in the cover, right?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This looks normal to me.

im just afraid that when released, it will have the clutch in an open position. I guess (like larry pointed out) fine tuning and adjusting will have to happen when the bike's up and running.

currently, there is ZERO free play on the clutch. Pulled in grip even 1mm moves the arm/lever.

·
Super Moderator
2,850 Posts
You do have the mushroom shaped button to put in there right? The spring position looks fine.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
your second picture shows you have loads of slack available,loosen the two nuts to give yourself 1/2 inch at the lever

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
your second picture shows you have loads of slack available,loosen the two nuts to give yourself 1/2 inch at the lever

not sure where I want that 1/2 inch? above or below the mount next to the clutch lever?

Above would push the lever down a 1/2 inch, but it seems the spring is popping the entire thing back up to where I have it now.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.