Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the parts collecting phase of switching to dual front discs (GL500I style), and I'm pretty sure I'll be set soon, but was hoping the collective wisdom here could double-check my list in case I've missed anything

What I've got right now:
Rotors from Interstate model
104mm bolts for rotors
Fork lowers from Interstate model

What is currently on the way:
Brake line splitter
Pair of caliper brackets from Interstate model

What I still need:
Right side caliper (plentiful on ebay, but if someone here has one they want to give me a deal on, I'd be interested)
New rubber parts for said caliper (easy enough to find)
Master cylinder (there's certainly no shortage of aftermarket master cylinders with a 15.8/16mm bore. Does anyone have a favorite? Is one as good (or bad) as the next?)
Stainless steel hoses (I'll probably wait to order these until I've got everything mounted so I can get a good measurement)
New pads (my current ones are in pretty good shape, but I figure I might as well get four new ones to make sure everything is starting with the same amount of wear)

I've also got new fork seals, dust boots, and stiffer springs; might as well take care of everything while I've got the forks apart.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
97 Posts
After shopping for caliper pistons, seals, lines and a master cylinder I bought this all from 4into1.com, this is where I got the best price. Parts are aftermarket, not OEM. Bike is not on the road yet but brakes are on and bled.

I have a spare caliper body but I'm in Canada so shipping would hurt. Let me know if interested.
Dan

·
Registered
1982 GL500
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the offer, but I think you're right about shipping being prohibitive. 4into1 has been good to me so far; that's where I got the fork seals, dust boots, and caliper kit for the left side

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,688 Posts
Note that similar calipers were used on many Hondas but they came in left and right versions (locations of the inlet and bleed screw) and several piston sizes (the piston diameter is stamped or cast into the end of the caliper) as well as other variants like wider openings for the vented rotors on GoldWing Aspencades.

For dual disc systems it is less important to have the correct size than it is to have the same size on both sides for optimum function and even pad wear.

I think the calipers on the single and dual disc GL500s are the same size but I am not 100% sure and at any rate the caliper(s) on any bike may not be original 40 years later so it is best to check that you end up with 2 that are the same size.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
131 Posts
Note that similar calipers were used on many Hondas but they came in left and right versions (locations of the inlet and bleed screw) and several piston sizes (the piston diameter is stamped or cast into the end of the caliper) as well as other variants like wider openings for the vented rotors on GoldWing Aspencades.

For dual disc systems it is less important to have the correct size than it is to have the same size on both sides for optimum function and even pad wear.

I think the calipers on the single and dual disc GL500s are the same size but I am not 100% sure and at any rate the caliper(s) on any bike may not be original 40 years later so it is best to check that you end up with 2 that are the same size.
Yeah the bleeders should be on the top of the caliper so the air bubbles can bleed up and out.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the master cylinder that 4into1 sells? It appears to be the same one that's available for much cheaper elsewhere, but I could easily be missing something and I'm happy to pay a few dollars more if it's actually better quality
Looks very similar to the one from DSS at about the same price. Worked well for me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts