Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Purchased my 650E back in 1996 after passing my test, for commuting while in the Army. It was fitted with full fairing with high screen & Givvi luggage, looks like it's been round Europe with the stickers on it.

It's originally from Birmingham looking at dealer name on reg plate. I want to remove fairing, taking it back to standard, this looks the place to find some valuable advice.;)

Only issue it's a bitch to start if it's stood a couple of weeks & it keeps popping a front for seal, o & had to change the fuel tank as rusted, could only find a black tank for my red bike?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hi, there's several on here also from the UK. Hev yew gotta loight, boy? (Sorry ;)).
"Only issue it's a bitch to start if it's stood a couple of weeks" - that's a typical CX "characteristic". I turn the petrol on five minutes before riding, and it usually helps it fire up without too much trouble. I can see why you want to remove the fairing! :oops:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ya, yer that fairing is proper ugly, I'd already removed the screen & lower part of fairing, I've been looking for an original red front fairing to Begin the transformation, with no luck☹

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome! Back in the day a mate bought a red one of those new; that has brought back some happy memories as he was a good rider but only had good sight in one eye, consequently he was very quick on right handers but took his time on the left handers! I am sure with patience a displaced fairing from a cafe racer project will turn up. You are probably in for a bit of paint soon with the tank so I guess any colour will do.
And yeah, CX's don't like starting after being parked up for a few weeks. My trick was to stuff a rag down the air intake and heat up the plugs on a gas stove. A fully charged battery is a must have. Once it was firing the rag would be pulled from the intake and the bike would settle on the choke. Trouble is the gas stove was replaced with an electric induction cooker...

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
What seems to work for me is that after the bike has sat for some time I leave the kill switch in the off position and press the start button, with the choke pulled, until the oil pressure light goes out. The turn on the kill switch and start. If that doesn't work, give the throttle a couple of quick turns and try again. The latter only applies if you have a bike with accelerator pump. YMMV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thks, I'll try some tips when I drag it out next week, just need to get a new battery, the current one expired ?. Amazon here I come !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts