Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys a neighbor of mine I meet a couple days ago has a 1980 CX500D little tlc needed and I would love to get this bike and turn it cafe racer style with my own touch but I know starting off its going to need the carbs cleaned but i feel as I should just rebuild them considering age and the fact its coming to me gunked up and the possibility the floats may be stuck but this is again probably due to the gunk from sitting in the garage. This is my main and really only "concern" i have with the bike everything else has the normal wear and nicks but nothing to make the bike not sound. Figure on new seat headlight, gauges, paint, intake pods and exhaust by the time its done but its my first custom build bike and I think this could be a good and reliable bike I could get a lot of enjoyment out of but any help, side notes, things to look for or problems that i should look for would be of great and help and with great thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An ultrasonic cleaner is the best way to clean the insides of the carbs.

Thanks im thinking for what i is and what iv heard from several friends of mine who have gone through the same thing is just to start off with some heavy duty cleaner and "soak" the carbs with them and then see if i can loosen them up if not pull them apart and clean the internals and if thats still not enough just go with a rebuild kit. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have cleaned mine quite a few times and the bike still does not run as good as i would like it to. i just bought an ultrasonic cleaner form harbor freight last week and it is in shipping right now. being that i have soaked and scrubbed my carbs a number of times if this works it will be a good test. i will post and let you know after next time i clean them. by the way... google harbor freight cupon and they usually have a 20% off one floating around somewhere on the net at any given time. that made me happy in combination with it allready being on sale.here is the cleaner My link

i have never been a big fan on HF but i bought a spark plug sand blaster last month and it is awesome.My link I can't say enough good about it so it has kinda given me high hopes for the ultrasonic cleaner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone for the replies i actually tore the bike down two days ago and found the dude i bought it from was a complete nimrod. the carbs are fine and so is the engine considering they both look to have been overhauled/cleaned and repaired with in the past yr but what i have ran into is a leaky right carb boot and then water in the left/back bank of the cylinder head trapped by the closed valve. dried as much out as i could and am going to get penetrating lube and anti sieze for the slow but steady hopefully succesful bumping of the engine. after i get the boot replaced and the engine to turn over freely all that will be left is fab work to the lights, seat, fenders and such but just to ask anyone had to replace their rectifier and "electrical plate" and if so where did you find one or what aftermarket place did you use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts