Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do WWII re-enacting. I have wanted a WWII bike. WLA comes to mind, but alas they are expensive.
so I got a KM20 BSA. It is a 1939 500cc 13 HP fighting machine. Well maybe not much fighting.
the we’re used for scouting and dispatch delivery.
2A357805-C683-4B1C-9C18-B25C57E5D508.jpeg
2A357805-C683-4B1C-9C18-B25C57E5D508.jpeg
2B04ECC3-3E7A-4C46-866C-84EE4778C3B2.jpeg
2A357805-C683-4B1C-9C18-B25C57E5D508.jpeg 2B04ECC3-3E7A-4C46-866C-84EE4778C3B2.jpeg B6BC54AD-58CA-4D5E-AFE7-70E9CFFEFDE3.jpeg

·
Premium Member
360 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I love it, a REAL motorcycle. Closest I've ever had was a early 50's Triumph T100 (500cc twin). The good old days...

Reactions: FATBOY

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Charlie, it looks great! Are you back home, now? George Oller

·
Registered
584 Posts
really cool, quite the kickstand setup.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
George
I am back home. Got here June 6th. Hope you are running your car. I will be back later this year. I will put her back into shape if needed and the damn Covid backs off. I see northern Florida whet from almost nothing to Holy Cow. Stay safe.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thumper take one guess why the gas tank is just sitting for the pictures. The 81 year old bike is suffering from tank rust. I am building a rotisserie to tumble the tank with drywall screws and an assortment of nuts. Then a good power washer blasting. Then if it looks good it I’ll be ready for the POR 15 treatment process. I am waiting for a few nuts and bolts to arrive So I can fire her up it’s my aux tank. Got the carb in the ultrasonic tank cooking now. Man you talk about a simple carb. Amal 276.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The side stand is a sand spike. Very useful on dirt or sand. Later M 20’s had it omitted. This one also has side car lugs. Again deleted in later production runs. BSA made about 130,000 for the war effort. They were in production into the late 50’s early 1960’s. Most parts are still available. The bikes as everything WWII is going up in price Fast. Unaffected by the economy or Covid. WWII stuff is really expensive in Europe. it brings much more at auction then here. what do you think a German MG 42 goes for? Try around $60,000.00. A half track around $90,000.00. Oh want a Sherman? Get ready to shell out $500,000.00 to a million dollars. A clean real WWII Jeep is $20-25,000.00 dollars. There are lots of post war done up to imitate the real thing. Weapons carriers can still be had for $6,000-$10,000. A real WLA in war trim, $25,000.00 and up. My son’s WLA, painted the wrong color, wrong carb, wrong air filter, bad tires, not black out covers, and oh yes a snapped valve. He was lucky to get it for $14,000.00. She is fine runner today and complete even has a Thompson machine in the scabbard.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I was concerned the PO was doing some jerry rigged tank tilt mod and figured you would correct it anyway. How do you like that passenger seat ? Somehow it doesn't look period. Maybe you could unbolt it and stick it in a box and hide it in the garage rafters somewhere. Nice bike otherwise.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the passage pillow block, period correct. Remember the boys who rode these things were teens to early twenties. They had skinny bumbs. Most of the time it was single ridden. Some had sidecars. This one has the lugs. USSR and German bikes sported sidecars with matching gun mounts. We had a ton of jeeps so few machine gun toting Harley WLA‘s with sidecars on the front lines. Plenty of armored up jeeps though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
George
I am back home. Got here June 6th. Hope you are running your car. I will be back later this year. I will put her back into shape if needed and the damn Covid backs off. I see northern Florida whet from almost nothing to Holy Cow. Stay safe.
Hi Charlie, it's good to hear from you. We are having more Covid cases now than when at the pandemic peak. Mari and I are still well, just don't go anywhere unless it's an absolute must. I am still tinkering with the JZR. It is idling about 950/1000 rpms. I need to adjust it up to about 1100 where it was before the carbs rebuild. I have not gotten it out as much as I would like, but between Covid, heavy rains, and 98 degree days. I am just letting it run in the garage every couple of days. Take care and hope to see you later in the year.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Charlie, it's good to hear from you. We are having more Covid cases now than when at the pandemic peak. Mari and I are still well, just don't go anywhere unless it's an absolute must. I am still tinkering with the JZR. It is idling about 950/1000 rpms. I need to adjust it up to about 1100 where it was before the carbs rebuild. I have not gotten it out as much as I would like, but between Covid, heavy rains, and 98 degree days. I am just letting it run in the garage every couple of days. Take care and hope to see you later in the year.
Remember to let it run dry or better yet get some non-ethanol gasoline.
No such thing in NJ. Boy I wish we could buy some here.
Stay healthy

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been running non-ethanol gas since you rebuilt the carbs. It seems to be running good, but I still think the idle needs to be a little higher. I will let you know how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts