Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 1979 CX500 delux and everything works wonderfully expect for a couple issues. I've never done maintenance or troubleshooting on a bike before so any help is appreciated.

1. Right side turn signals don't flash but stay illuminated. I bought a new relay and the problem persisted, put the old one back in and all the signals flashed, then the right side didn't flash again the next day. What would be the next best thing to test?

2. What does the wiring for the horn look like? The horn on my bike doesn't work because, lo and behold, it doesn't even have one. Nor do I see any wires or spade connectors where the horn should be on a stock bike. I believe they're supposed to come off the wires behind the headlamp but does anyone have pictures?

3. The rear brake lights the brake light but the front does not. I read something about possibly replacing the front brake light switch but which is near the master cylinder, but I'm not sure I saw it. Maybe I'm just blind. Does someone have a picture of it attached to the bike?

I can post some pictures myself later at some point to give a better idea, but my bike is parked in a different location as me right now till I can grab a good way to secure it from theft.

·
Super Moderator
19,707 Posts
Take the two wires off of the brake light switch and flash them together with the key switch on. If the brake light illuminates the switch is faulty. If not it is a wiring fault.

Horn works through the solid black wire {switched 12 volt} and the return path is through a light green wire.

·
Super Moderator
12,760 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature) so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget.

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike has had 41 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage. I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

Look for a pair of wires coming out of the switch assembly that plug onto something on the bottom of the master cylinder. Those are the wires Phreak was talking about and the thing they plug onto is the switch.

Re the turn signals, the original type flasher won't flash unless both bulbs are connected and working. Intermittent contact between a bulb's filament and the filament's support (inside the bulb) is fairly common and when that happens the bulb will sometimes work and sometimes not work so I would start by removing the bulbs and examining and testing them. If the bulbs are good look at where the turn signals plug into the bike's wiring harness.

Note that in bikes made for most of the world (Australia apparently being the exception), the front signals have dual filament (type 1157) bulbs and function as marker lights as well. When you turn the key On the front signals' dim filaments should light and when you turn the signals on the dim filament should turn off and the bright one should flash.
Since amber marker lights are not allowed on the rear of vehicles in most places and amber signals are more noticeable by other road users, the rear signals have single filament (type 1156) bulbs and only light when you turn the signals on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts