Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hankering after a traverse twin for a wile and tonight I finally got one.
For $400 I got a 81 CX500 Deluxe with 38k, a full fairing, and saddle bags.
The bike had been sitting for 2 years, heck the registration is good till next month:icon_thumbright:, and it has a dead battery with old smelling gas.
I figure charge the battery, if it holds a charge bonus if not replace, change fluids, fresh fuel and see what happens.
From there I will be happy to be back on two wheels, but it will soon be caffeinated.
Fairing and bags got to go
new seat
rear sets
stiffen the suspension
maybe gl1100 rear wheel and disc brakes
maybe dual front discs
ideas?

Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JC.
I have not even gotten it out of the back of my truck. Tomorrow I plan to get pictures once it is on the ground.
End look I have not nailed down but I waiver between cafe, brat, and tracker.
Functionality, my goal is to keep it fun and good to ride in town with the occasional country jaunt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some photos
not bad except I managed to break the windshield getting it down... mirror catches on 34 year old frozen plastic and pop broken windshield.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Engine Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle brake Car
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle Spoke Motorcycle

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi mate and welcome, looks like another potential stunner, I would check the tyres for any cracks before you go any distance and keep the speed down ( just in case ! ) best of luck :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its alive!!
Got it to pop off today and that 2 into 1 exhaust is LOUD.
Got to sort out the carbs as it won't idle without constant throttle and a lot of backfiring any ideas as carbs have never been my forte.

Andy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cafe'Cafe, the name says it all. Cafe style would be extremely nice and you sound like you have an abundance of creativity. Go for it, and we will all envy your scenic rides through the Fox River Valley...aaahhhhh!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robert,

Thanks, to be honest that it the name of the business that I plan to open in the next couple years. A bike shop slash quick service restaurant with a cafe` racer flair. Got to keep my eye on the ball.
When you get up this way we will have to go for a ride, unless its winter when I will be envying your ability to ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like you need to clean and rebuild your carbs. Pay special attention to the accelerator pump. It is likely the cause of the backfiring. There are 2 channels and 2 ball valves that you need to clear and free up. The original gasket has holes that are actually smaller than the holes of the channels making it even easier to clog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts