Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoyed my CX build and with the exception of the shock dilemma (really need to have one custom made) its been a really fun bike to ride. With majority of the cost being the mono conversion I have toyed around with building a GL cafe. I've been looking periodically and they have either been too expensive to too original for me to cut up. recently I stumbled across a basket case GL already cut up, non running for $200. I figured it was worth the gamble. Messed with it for the first time today. appears to have new coils, new starter solenoid, and new plugs. coils aren't mounted (I thought they had to be mounted to be grounded?) Bike has spark but won't fire. got it to ketch a couple times and backfire a few. left plug is wet right is bone dry. Going to pull the carbs this week to see if that's the cause before ordering to much for it. Any thoughts let me know. so far the plan is a triple bypass, murrays carbs, hagon rear shock, custom tail piece and seat, tracker bars, all new bearings and seals

IMG_5190.jpg IMG_5236.jpg IMG_5234.jpg
IMG_5237.jpg IMG_5238.jpg arriere-cadre-bmw-2-2.jpg

This is my Cx build
http://cx500forum.com/forum/build-threads/33728-new-hampshire-81-cx500-deluxe-bobber-build.html

·
Registered
253 Posts
Open the throttle and and spray some (flammable) carb cleaner into the carb bodies and see what she does. If she fires up, it’s your carbs giving you problems. If not, it’s your ignition.

I’d ground the coils and make sure the green ground connection at the back of the bike (2 green wires going to a single ring connector) is grounded as well. I had mine disconnected and would get the occasional “chuff” on one cylinder and a backfire every once in awhile. The spark plugs were firing the whole time, but it wouldn’t light the fire.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i'll research the coils. being aftermarket i'll have to research how to test the difference. Tried spraying starter fluid but had no luck. Anyone have any aftermarket that they recommend or should I just search for some used ones. looks like they changed out the connectors.

·
Super Moderator
4,203 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I saw that thread last night. I think I clicked on every link but the one on the first page which appears to be the ones that I have. I put a meter on them an they come back with 1.5 ohms. Hopefully the PO didn't do any damage. Looks like I have a spare set of coils for my CX at least.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I couldn't make up my mind on which coils to buy and I was missing the stock brackets so I picked up a used set for $30 shipped just to try for now. Bike fired right up!!! But boy is it loud, basically straight headers with tips. Got an Nor'easter going on at the moment but as soon as I'm thawed out i'll start picking away. I'm curious about the remaining life on the timing chain. No idea if its ever been adjusted or replaced. Bike has 31k. I have no history of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I expect as much, besides the rattle can spray, the bike is in pretty good condition. My last CX build I researched for months on this forum and followed all the best advise I could. replaced everything. Honestly my CX is a result of all of your input. This GL will most likely get the triple bypass, murrays, hagon and on the fence about an new front end. (I honestly never had an issue with the front handling. Biggest issue is rear unloading in a corner pushing it to the max) with my CX build all of my issues are around the rear mono shock. with this build already being mono I figure my build cost will be half. I really want to do more fabrication this time and I miss working with fiberglass so my tail piece will be unique.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wasn't having much luck moving the metal so I drilled holes in my lift tabs and used 4400psi JBweld. the holes allowed the epoxy to squeeze through and really helped it hold. couple more pulls and I should be good.
IMG_6010.jpg IMG_6052.jpg IMG_6062.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,771 Posts
Moved to Build threads.

·
Registered
655 Posts
thanks guys, i'll research the coils. being aftermarket i'll have to research how to test the difference. Tried spraying starter fluid but had no luck. Anyone have any aftermarket that they recommend or should I just search for some used ones. looks like they changed out the connectors.
I have those coils on mine, They work fine! Their a bit shorter, but they can be made to fit.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I got the bulk of the dents out of the tank. Got it all stripped down to start body work and found bondo under the tank. Took it all down to bare metal but didn't really see anything. decided to put some metal rescue in the tank while I was at it is noticed it leaking. It had a long stress crack on the lower ride side of the tank. Flushed the tank several times and then decided to give bazing a shot. My ability with Map gas and bronze flux rods is not the strongest but I got the job done. I'll start smoothing the tank tomorrow.
IMG_6279.jpg IMG_6280.jpg

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well its starting to look like a tank again. I have a bit of a lot spot on one side and need to feather in a few edges but its progress. Capture.JPG

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got some time in the garage today. Got the hoop all mocked up. Started playing around with tail idea. Tomorrow I will weld the hoop and holes I drilled for the slugs. Im going to raise the rear subframe up to a proper angle and gain more tire clearance . The GL has a natural downward slope on the tail and it always bothers me. I'm also going to give the tail a more sports bike lower tail body and tie it into the shape of the frame. Most cut the bottom of the tank off but im going to try to use it. IMG_6334.jpg IMG_6336.jpg a.JPG b.JPG c.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow great progress. I need to use one of those stud-weld slide hammers to get a nasty dent out of my tank as well. I'm half tempted to just strip it to bare metal and clear coat it and call it a day as an "industrial" sort of rat bike sort of thing, dents and all.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts