Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a 1980 CX500 custom in fair shape. Aside from the head cover leaking a little nothing seemed wrong with the bike, it runs fine. I am planning on taking it across Canada and back through the states this summer in July-August I think it'll be 10,000km or more haven't really calculated it yet. My question is what should I check over and replace prior to the trip? I'm going to do the regular maintenance stuff before I go Like oil change and fluids and make sure tires are good and cables and stuff. What should I check in the engine? I'm going to take it apart before the riding season arrives and was thinking of checking the compression and stator and adjusting the cam chain. I noticed the engine was taken apart due to the green gaskets it has so the mechanical seal might have already been done. Would it be a good idea to replace it anyway?

·
Registered
129 Posts
A compression check, new plugs. good quality oils and filter, plus air filter change and suggest removing the carb float bowls (tight fit to get at the phillips but just about possible with mini ratchet type 90 degree screwdriver) to remove the crud that accumulates here and prevent any carb blockage and cam chain tensioner check should cover it but also suggest you check out good breakdown cover insurance and Greyhound time tables .!!.These bikes when set up are tough but are getting elderly now like most of the riders!!
Perhaps even some pile ointment ?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,111 Posts
I am planning on taking it across Canada and back through the states this summer in July-August
PM me if your route will bring you through Minneapolis. We'll get some of the locals together for lunch. Plus, my garage and tools will be available if you need them.

At a minimum, I'd replace all the fluids (don't forget the final drive unit) and filters. Properly clean and sync the carbs. Verify your camchain and stator. (I'm surprised no one has mentioned that yet.) You might even consider mounting an Ignitech to eliminate the old CDI. Check the tires and battery, and replace if at all questionable.

Then, rack up lots of local miles to shake it down well. You don't want to discover hundreds of miles from home that you missed something.

R

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,111 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.