Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a 1980 CX500 custom in fair shape. Aside from the head cover leaking a little nothing seemed wrong with the bike, it runs fine. I am planning on taking it across Canada and back through the states this summer in July-August I think it'll be 10,000km or more haven't really calculated it yet. My question is what should I check over and replace prior to the trip? I'm going to do the regular maintenance stuff before I go Like oil change and fluids and make sure tires are good and cables and stuff. What should I check in the engine? I'm going to take it apart before the riding season arrives and was thinking of checking the compression and stator and adjusting the cam chain. I noticed the engine was taken apart due to the green gaskets it has so the mechanical seal might have already been done. Would it be a good idea to replace it anyway?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
There is a list a mile long download the service manual it has the best info on maintenance and i know i would forget the thing

that needs attention most.....and i am slow typing it would take an hour.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would check the reasons why you would want to risk riding a 34-year old motorcycle over that kind of distance. Then ride to QC and back to check out your bike and yourself. Just sayin'

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I would check the reasons why you would want to risk riding a 34-year old motorcycle over that kind of distance. Then ride to QC and back to check out your bike and yourself. Just sayin'
Adventure baby! Thats why! Anyone can ride a long distance on a bike that just came off the showroom floor... But if you want to do it in style! Take your 34 year old bike for a spin. Specially after you do all the maintenance yourself.

Sounds like your getting in the right track my friend. Just make sure all the fluids are keen, oil pump chain is good, cam chain as you stated. Check if the lobes in your cam themselves look good still while your in there. Also your rocker arms in your valves, make sure they don't have a lot of play (it'll run, but make a loud tick).

Service manual in your backpack wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Wisco

·
Super Moderator
11,468 Posts
The WIKI is chock full of helpful information to ensure you have a worthy bike, including the Factory Service Manual, free to download.
See link below, and hope you can be successful.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You are going to need to do some maintenance during the trip - so do a full maintenance schedule now, and get used to riding it around - a few short 100 mile trips would not hurt either - as it should show up any bad habits/problems which may be able to be addressed before embarking on an extended length tour. Make sure you can do the maintenance yourself - and just have to buy oil for changes - then keep some spare plugs etc etc...

see the wiki

photos would be nice

·
Registered
368 Posts
I put 1800 miles on my GL 500 last year. Lets see, the brake light switch hung up and had to be adjusted and the rear end was damaged on a too steep road with full load aboard. I drove it 900 miles back with the rear end full of metal flakes. No problem! All six of my buddies had nice new bikes. Everywhere we went the GL was what everyone wanted to see and talk about.
Yes, I tuned up before leaving but then didn't touch a thing on the trip. Wonderful bike, very comfortable. Has guts and can accelerate under any conditions by dropping a gear!
About 50 MPG. Didn't use a replaceable amount of oil.
Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought an 82 GL last year. The service looked like some had been done but I couldn't tell exactly when so I pulled out the Owner's Manual and went thru the items for the 24,000 mile service. It included all the normal wear/maintenance items. I adjusted the cam chain and valves but didn't pull the engine apart. I have a tendency to not go looking for trouble, it can always be found. Try to do all the work you can to become familiar with your bike. If something needs attention on your trip it is extremely unlikely you will find a repair facility at all familiar with these 30+ year old machines. Spoon on some new good tires, get a tire plug kit and a hand pump, put an extra headlight bulb in your pocket and go. As long as YOU are healthy, everything else can be negotiated! Good Luck! Maybe I'll see you in the Northern Plains.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
At least with a custom you will be stopping fairly often to fill the gas tank so you will be able to check everything often and will notice any changes early .

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,476 Posts
I am planning on taking it across Canada and back through the states this summer in July-August
PM me if your route will bring you through Minneapolis. We'll get some of the locals together for lunch. Plus, my garage and tools will be available if you need them.

At a minimum, I'd replace all the fluids (don't forget the final drive unit) and filters. Properly clean and sync the carbs. Verify your camchain and stator. (I'm surprised no one has mentioned that yet.) You might even consider mounting an Ignitech to eliminate the old CDI. Check the tires and battery, and replace if at all questionable.

Then, rack up lots of local miles to shake it down well. You don't want to discover hundreds of miles from home that you missed something.

R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts