Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know that I have been looking for a project 650. Well in the last month I have seen more than enough online for good prices but the sellers don't call you back or have it sold in seconds due to the good price. I really wanted a gl to make into a tourer but sometimes things go the other way.

A good friend and member Crshndbrn (Jesse) picked up a bike for me today. Still pending payment but I'll get him cash as soon as I can. Going to see it next week.

This is the picture he sent me.

I showed Melody and she thought I was nuts.

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know this isn't the best image but Iron set up his Cx650 for touring kind of. Here's his bike in some progress.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I showed Melody and she thought I was nuts.

Obviously a woman of great insight and intellect.

How difficult would it be to transplant the 650 powerplant into a GL500I? Might be easier and in the end cost less than transforming a non-tourer into a tourer.

They say a picture is worth 1000 words, that one merits three letters, WTF.

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the actual bike. This bike was found in Flint Michigan for $500.

Looks like the seller took down the ad already but it has less than 20,000 miles on it and was listed for $900 in the beginning.

I was thinking of possibly putting the bags from my bike on it and the hondaline bags back on the Supertanker.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It does have kind of an empty, longing look for some dressing up but I know you'll take care of that.

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just might have to test out the wheelie factor before you get over here... 18,900 miles on it I recall correctly.

I dare you. I did a wheelie with the 500 and learned that I don't like the feeling.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I did a wheelie on my 500 the other day by accident... yah... kind of unnerving. But it was better then ending up as a hood ornament on the truck running the red light.

·
Registered
967 Posts
is glad I weigh 220...helps keep the front end down,...the back end does chirp though when hitting second
man these bikes are fun. Nice find Stitch.

There is a guy locally selling a 79, looks like a pretty decent bike...LOW miles 8000 on the clock, and he want 1200 for it. I think he is a bit high...what do you think? could use new tires, a tune up, carb rebuild, tappets etc, LOTS of polish and cleaning. Quite a bit of corrosion, rust on the frame...he said he turned down 900 cash...he was admiring mine and impressed with how clean it is, and then I told him i got it for 300 WITH carb rebuild kits and he about fell over.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah, I don't think people selling these bikes realize they are available for 300-800 pretty readily. Although I did see a REAL nice looking CX500 with red header wraps (looked like an early year based on the seat) at a gas station in Bloomington yesterday. Anyone driving through central Illinois?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh stitch, I have basically the entire back end body parts of the 650 custom if you want them. Just pay shipping and I'll send them to you.

- Sissy bar/glovebox

- Rear fender extender thing

- plate mount/brake light

- left and right turns signals (working newer plastic ones)

- passenger handles

- passenger foot rests and brackets

I just got a new integrated turn/brake signal with license mount, and I'm not using the fender extender thing. To install it I had to remove the sissy bar/glove box so no use for it anymore. And my solo seat makes the passenger stuff useless. If you have a solo seat to swap me for (mounts don't matter I made a new fiberglass casing/cover for the bike so I'll need to custom mount any seat) I can send you a very good condition 650c original seat.

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh stitch, I have basically the entire back end body parts of the 650 custom if you want them. Just pay shipping and I'll send them to you.

- Sissy bar/glovebox

- Rear fender extender thing

- plate mount/brake light

- left and right turns signals (working newer plastic ones)

- passenger handles

- passenger foot rests and brackets

I just got a new integrated turn/brake signal with license mount, and I'm not using the fender extender thing. To install it I had to remove the sissy bar/glove box so no use for it anymore. And my solo seat makes the passenger stuff useless. If you have a solo seat to swap me for (mounts don't matter I made a new fiberglass casing/cover for the bike so I'll need to custom mount any seat) I can send you a very good condition 650c original seat.

Just got back to my computer and I'll take that deal.

I emailed last week on my phone but who knows how that went.

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like I have a bit more of a project on my hands but the first ride wasn't a disappointment. In fact it was probably the best ride on it. Nothing special but down the block.

List of problems.

Seats ripped

Ignition switch bottom plastic holder is broke and let the guts fall out

Rear turn signal stocks broken

1/2 broken clutch lever

Aftermarket handlebars bunching up the cables and everything else

and

The gas latch/cap was opened by a cave man. To bad there are limited numbers of them.

The good is that Jesse and I. Mostly Jesse took apart the carbs and ran them through the ultra sonic and then balanced them. Right now the ignition guts are zip tied together and zip tied to the turn signal stock. So it is functional but I think the starter doesn't have a will to live since it's so hard to turn over unless it's at the sweet spot. The engine turns fine. Just the starter being a pain.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts