Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says I'm new at this been a car/truck mechanic for bout 5 years now but this is the first time I've ever worked on a bike. I'm building this bike frame up so I've stupidly jus torn the engine apart without taking care to keep the transmission all together. I've got the two pictures of the transmission components n I can figure out how they go on each rod individually but how does each mesh into each other and in what order is my question. Also while I've got the engine apart I'm planning on replacing certain high stress parts such as the piston bearings and the piston rings, but I am unsure as to the individual reliability of each part so what are some other common parts that go bad that I should replace while I have it apart. I am building this bike up as a reliable but powerful cafe racer style bike so any pointers on parts that I should upgrade beyond stock or styling pointers would also be appreciated. Well thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The engines are as tough as old boots - very simple and strong. Only weakness is cam chain tensioner and , if early model , ignition and stator.

Whilst doing the frame check for any corrosion on the pressed steel sections - foot rest hangers can be prone to corrosion.

Don`t forget that the youngest example is the better part of 30 years old thus the technology is of that era. Do not let this put you off though. They were very advanced in their day and can still hold their own when compared to most modern machines , especially with the subject of reliability in mind.

When thinking about upgrades try searching through some of the old forums - you might be surprised just what members have and can do with regards to this. Some of the ideas might " blow your mind "

·
Registered
101 Posts
SOme guy on here had a really detailed explanation of how you could bore it out to a 800cc bike
Don't ask me how... but supposedly it can be done.. lots of $$ though.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
SOme guy on here had a really detailed explanation of how you could bore it out to a 800cc bike
Don't ask me how... but supposedly it can be done.. lots of $$ though.

Interestion idea!......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so I've decided to use this as my build thread. First question is where do u guys find parts I went into the local honda dealership today and I could find most of the parts I need to replace in the engine but some such as the stator are discontinued. and the next question is is there supposed to be oil where the stator is housed cuz my old one has sum oil on it, but that didnt seem right to me, I mean I've never worked with a stator/generator system before but I dont think there should be oil on an electrical part right?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
The stator is located inside the rear engine case. It is normal for oil to be splashed on it. See here for stator sources and related information.

For most parts, I take advantage of the group discount on Honda parts described in the Quick Reference Thread.

BTW, please edit your signature to show your bike's year and model so we all know what you're working on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stator is located inside the rear engine case. It is normal for oil to be splashed on it. See here for stator sources and related information.

For most parts, I take advantage of the group discount on Honda parts described in the Quick Reference Thread.

BTW, please edit your signature to show your bike's year and model so we all know what you're working on.

Well I would and all but for the most part I've got a bunch of parts in a trailer that I'm working with not even sure if theyre all there but I think the engine is an 82 cx500 and the frame is mostly from a custom. But thanks for the links. O and I think I rebuilt the transmission today won't know for sure till I get the new Piston bearings and rings but i think I got it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.