Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at my options and am wondering if anyone has any good feedback about Bikemaster trugel or Yuasa yumicron or Bikemaster AGM platinum some of which claim double life for double the price.

Also for my 79 custom some websites give me the option of two different #s of the same manufacture YB 12-A2 or YB 14-A2 what's the difference between them? I have seen prices from $52 to $120 and all I have to judge by is the marketing about each ones superior technology.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Perhaps this post will help My link

I have had both standard and gel batteries. My choice of gel a few years ago was a disappointment, so currently am running a regular wet cell that was cheap and local. A lot of the decision has to do with the use of the bike, and environment you are in. I'd prefer a good quality gel/AGM type for durability, but was unfortunate to get a cheap one that failed (shorted a cell I think) after only six months. So, shop wise. There was a good thread on here a while back of some in depth tests conducted. I couldn't find it just now.

A solid battery is a must on these bikes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My GL500I came with a new lead/acid battery that had been installed by the PO. After allowing the acid to vent onto and pit the chrome on the pipe below, I finally removed it and replaced it with a sealed battery from Batteries Plus for about #100.00. I wish I'd done it sooner. I still use lead/acid batteries in my Honda 90's, but both big bikes have sealed batteries and I plan to keep them that way. They cost a little more, but they don't damage the paint and chrome.

Just my 2c.

Steve

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Yuasa were the factory fitted brand to these Machines AFAIK and have a great track record.Here in the UK I use some slightly better spec batteries(190 CCA as opposed to stock 140 CCA) made by Dynavolt,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dynavolt-YB14...29?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3364c8a87d

http://www.dynavolt.co.uk/

USA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BATT...0862501QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Dry Charge

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Batt...6276420QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Useful general information about motorcycle batteries on their site worth a quick read.

Stay clear of,"MF" batteries.They are crap and,"No Name" batteries are usually a craps shoot.

Also,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/BatteryCare.htm#BatteryCare

MotoBatt seem to have a good name as well,

HTH

·
Registered
18 Posts
My GL500 currently has a normal lead acid battery. When I bought it, it didn't run right or well, so I didn't want to spend big money not knowing if the bike was worth it. My CB900C (Same battery as CX/GL)has a Yusa sealed battery it in. 3 1/2 years, and when not in use is on a trickle charger. No problems at all. I sold the 900 last week, and it was still going strong. I may buy one for the 500 when it needs it. I'm skeptical on the cheap, no name sealed batteries, and don't want to be the guinea pig. Get a good name brand and trickle charger, you won't be sorry, I know I wasn't with the $95 I spent on mine.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Anybody know what the life expectancy is on a good brand name sealed battery? I just want to make sure that the money I am going to spend on them will be worth it. This is year three for my $32.00 Wal-Mart battery and I have never had any trouble with it. I keep it inside during the off season and charge it with the trickle charger every couple of months. I guess what I am saying is that for me to justify a sealed battery, it needs to last at least nine years when compared to the battery I have now.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Anybody know what the life expectancy is on a good brand name sealed battery? I just want to make sure that the money I am going to spend on them will be worth it. This is year three for my $32.00 Wal-Mart battery and I have never had any trouble with it. I keep it inside during the off season and charge it with the trickle charger every couple of months. I guess what I am saying is that for me to justify a sealed battery, it needs to last at least nine years when compared to the battery I have now.

I'd stick with what you have.Also you are extending the lives of the batteries by always keeping them charged and an eye on the fluid level

Winterizing bikes and not keep the batteries charged will reduce the life of a battery

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Have any of y'all looked at or tried the newest litium ion batteries?  I know there are 2 companies that have started making them, they are smaller and lighter than a standard battery but I wonder how the longevity will be?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'd stick with what you have.Also you are extending the lives of the batteries by always keeping them charged and an eye on the fluid level

Winterizing bikes and not keep the batteries charged will reduce the life of a battery

I have already killed one battery by leaving it in the bike over winter. It froze and that was the end of it. Unfortunately, it was only a year old.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
At work we use Yuasa batteries in our systems.

I have seen a battery in a system that was 15 yrs old and still going strong.

We recommend changing them every 5 yrs but that is because people abuse them so often.

Our systems keep them on trickle all the time and never deeply or quickly discharge them

I guess I am saying it is not a fair comparison but these batteries have been more reliable than any other we have been able to find so far.

A few years ago we tried several manufacturers and none were as good.

My $0.02

I went with a cheap walmart battery for both of my bikes and the KZ is doing great so far.

I do not have the cx running yet but the battery is on the trickle charger waiting anxiously for me to finish my work list.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I put a gel in my CX from Batteries Plus. About $85. I worked in the telephone industry and very large strings of batteries is how the central office is backed up in case of a power outage. The most inportant things to keep in mind is: the batteries must be kept clean. No corrosion wich causes exterior shorting, and second, the batteries must be kept fully charged. Letting them discharge causes the plates to form a film called sulfating. This also will cause the plates to warp. This will add up to internal shorting and destruction of the battery. The specific gravity was also checked and the fluid level was kept up with distilled water. You also do not want to over charge the battery. I will fry it and then it is toast.

The thing that I do not like, or know about with a gel cell is how do you test the battery. All you can do is put a volt meter on it. Do they need to be charged over the winter? I would think so, but how much? One thing the gel gave me was a two year warranty and More cranking power. Spins the starter quite nicely!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I put a gel in my CX from Batteries Plus. About $85. I worked in the telephone industry and very large strings of batteries is how the central office is backed up in case of a power outage. The most important things to keep in mind is: the batteries must be kept clean. No corrosion wich cases exterior shorting, and second, the batteries must be kept fully charged. Letting them discharge causes the plates to form a film called sulfating. This also will cause the plates to warp. This will add up to internal shorting and destruction of the battery. The specific gravity was also checked and the fluid level was kept up with distilled water. You also do not want to over charge the battery. I will fry it and then it is toast.

The thing that I do not like, or know about with a gel cell is how do you test the battery. All you can do is put a volt meter on it. Do they need to be charged over the winter? I would think so, but how much? One thing the gel gave me was a two year warranty and More cranking power. Spins the starter quite nicely!

You can test any battery by using a dummy load to simulate actual use... here's one for GELs. http://www.batteryweb.com/rc300.cfm They seem pricey, maybe the telco has one you could borrow

Also below is a link to a tutorial explaining different batts and their Maintenance considerations

Battery Tutorial and another bit more involved tech hed style Battery Tutorial and battery info links...

I'd go regular lead acid unless I felt comfortable understanding the pros - cons of other types, for those with the $ Lithiums will deliver the same juice at 1/10 the weight and about 10 times the price. It's a newer technology and Lithium Batts for starting applications are just hitting the market.

I will wait a bit before I feel I can "trust" them... And I guess I'll be waiting for a rich uncle before I can afford them

Edit: In Leiu of owning a 200+ dollar load tester for occasional use, I bet an alarm installer would put his meter on it for a nominal fee if not free... jus thinkin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.