Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings! Picked up a new 1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate on Saturday with 28,xxx miles on the clock!

So far I've put ~150 on the clock since Saturday and it runs pretty great! Yesterday I adjusted the valves which were incredibly way too tight.....plus some gorilla tightened the locknuts so much that I'm surprised the adjusters didn't get stripped. Adjust camchain at the same time. Lubed the shaft splines with moly grease and changed out the final drive oil for LiquiMoly 75w-90 (it's what I had laying around for my R1150RT) and changed the engine oil to some fresh Shell Rotella.

Unfortunately the PO cleaned the carbs recently and said that he tore a gasket in the accelerator pump and so it seeps a bit of fuel out of the accel pump slowly which is smelly.....so I'll have to take care of that issue. There is also a bit of popping (intermittant) on deceleration and/or at low throttle openings. I'm guessing that's an issue with the diaphragm in the decel pump? Or a lean condition with the idle jet or needle valve possibly? Any suggestions for how to attack the issue is appreciated.

The plan is to get this bike completely up to snuff in time for an early February 1300+ mile camping ride into the Mojave desert. I'll be riding my R1150RT and my father will be flying out from the East Coast and riding the GL500 so I want to make sure the bike is in complete perfect operational condition.

Throughout January I plan to completely go through the brake system with a fluid flush, new brake pads front and rear. Flush the coolant system. New spark plugs (currently one OG Nippon Denso plug and one super old NLA NGK plug), lube the Pro-Link suspension pivot points and swingarm bearings, install new Metzeler Lasertec tires, flush out the fork oil with 20w oil and add a few inches of preload spacers in the fork tubes, install all new fuses, any other maintenance stuff I can think of.

Unfortunately the locking mechanism/latch feel off the rear trunk yesterday so I'm looking for a new lock......anyone have one available? If I do find one is it possible to rekey it to my current key? I'm also looking for some trunk extender brackets and also a back rest that can mount to the riders seat for when the trunk has the extenders.

Thanks!

Vehicle Motorcycle Mode of transport Road Adventure Auto part Carburetor Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Fuel line Carburetor Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Motorcycle Land vehicle Vehicle Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Greetings and a welcome to this forum from germany :)

For that:
There is also a bit of popping (intermittant) on deceleration and/or at low throttle openings. I'm guessing that's an issue with the diaphragm in the decel pump? Or a lean condition with the idle jet or needle valve possibly? Any suggestions for how to attack the issue is appreciated.
Known to me are two and a half hints:
First: The so called air cut valves are torn (also called ACV for these two membrans/diaphragmas)
Second: A leak better so say a hole is in the exhaust system
And the half. Carbs (the mixture fuel/air) are a lot to lean.

Gruesse
W;)lFgang

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

Loss of the rear trunk latch is a very common problem. A low-strength threadlocker should be used on all latches to prevent this from occurring. Fortunately, the trunk latch can be replaced with one from a side bag - it fits but the lettering will be upside down. Check ebay. The lock tumblers can be easily changed to fit your key.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Danke Schon!

Yep, seems like the PO didn't really know what he was doing when he cleaned the carb. Said he tore the accelerator pump gasket and who knows what else he messed up. I'll check into the ACV's. Are they expensive new from Mr. Honda?

Greetings and a welcome to this forum from germany :)

For that:
Known to me are two and a half hints:
First: The so called air cut valves are torn (also called ACV for these two membrans/diaphragmas)
Second: A leak better so say a hole is in the exhaust system
And the half. Carbs (the mixture fuel/air) are a lot to lean.

Gruesse
W;)lFgang

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
You have found a beaut. You entered the best forum bursting with knowledge about the Honda transverse vee twin motorcycles frequented by friendly and very helpful members:)

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Are they expensive new from Mr. Honda?
I don't know the Honda pices.
They will be around 20$ for one. Plus the horrible high postage in USA.

This ebay link works ?

But attencione: There are two or three versions of the ACV.
I'll take look for a picture.

Auto part Metal
For the GL500 carbs it seems there is only one version.

The picture is out of Larrys carb healing book ??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ordered some ACV rebuilt kits.

Anyone know the fuel line size off hand? I'd like to replace the old line and add in an in-line fuel filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fuel hose

Ordered some ACV rebuilt kits.

Anyone know the fuel line size off hand? I'd like to replace the old line and add in an in-line fuel filter.
I think the GL used 7.5mm? You probably won't find it locally. 5/16" will work. Those little clear plastic with the brass filter work well. Someone on here has a source for the 90 degree bend ones but the straight ones are widely available at any parts store.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you bought the bike from American Canyon. Good luck with the carb rebuild. Larrys book is of great value!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan. I'd go for new fork springs vs. the spacers. I put Progressive springs in my first GL500 and they worked quite well and worked without air pressure.

For the carbs, I'd just go for the entire kit from Randakk's. If you have them out and apart, you might as well go through them completely and be done with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sounds like you have a good plan. I'd go for new fork springs vs. the spacers. I put Progressive springs in my first GL500 and they worked quite well and worked without air pressure.

For the carbs, I'd just go for the entire kit from Randakk's. If you have them out and apart, you might as well go through them completely and be done with it.
Already have Larry's book on order. Recognize him from the BARF forums! Link for the Progressive fork springs? ***edit: Progressive spings on order***

I like to bond with all my bikes with a little blood. Let's them know what I taste like. ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Nice looking Wing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Other than a few long days spent working on a buddy's 69 BSA A50 I've been working on the GL500I pretty much nonstop as time allows for the last few weeks. The rear suspension linkages were super squeaky and after taking them apart/cleaning/lubing they are much better now. I also took apart the forks over the weekend and spent a few days cleaning them and then filling with new 20w fork oil and the new Progressive springs. Also threw in some new fork seals/dust covers since I was there. Also decided to check the headset bearings since I could feel some play while riding......oh man, the headset nut was totally loose and the bearings practically had no grease at all! What was there was a super thick tried up wax. Ewwwww. At this point the only real main things left to do before the 1300 mile desert ride next month is to rebuild the calipers/master cylinder/carbs which I will begin tomorrow after I receive the Ultrasonic Cleaner (does it come with a Sonic Screwdriver too?!).

List of things done so far:

12/26/2015 Purchased bike! 28,xxx
12/27/2015 Engine oil changed. Shell Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic. Final Drive gear oil changed. Liquimoly 75w-90. Drive shaft splines lubed with molygrease. Valves adjusted, they were super tight. Cam chain adjusted. 29,000
12/28/2015 New NGK D9EA spark plugs installed. Gapped to .6mm. External 30 AMP main fuse installed (PO just used a wire). All dashboard 10 AMP fuses replaced with new ones. 29,010
12/29/2015 Front brake light switch terminals cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and lubed with dialectric grease. Brake light now functional when front brake lever applied. 29,010
1/3/2015 Battery tender install in stereo box with USB charger mounted to outside panel 29,161
1/3/2015 Battery topped off with distilled water. Previous owner install new battery in June 2015. 29,161
1/3/2015 Final Drive wheel splines cleaned and lubed. FD removed from swingarm and splines inspected/cleaned/lubed. FD breather removed and inspected, was clear. FD Looks perfect! 29,161
1/3/2015 Rear wheel removed, splines cleaned/lubed. Drum brake completely disassembled/cleaned/lubed etc. 29,161
1/3/2015 New fuel line and filter installed. 29,161
1/3/2015 All foot pegs removed/cleaned/lubed/reinstalled. 29,161
1/3/2015 All rear suspension linkages removed/cleaned/lubed/reinstalled. Rear shock air pressure pumped up to 70 PSI. Side stand also lubed. 29,161
1/4/2015 Radiatior coolant drained. Looked somewhat decent/fresh and not murky/dark. Filled with distilled water then run for several minutes until hot and flowing. Water drained. Filled with distilled water again repeat previous procedure. Drained. Filled with distilled White Vinegar then run around the neighborhood for several minutes to get hot and circulated. Will let the vinegar sit over night then flush tomorrow with more distilled water and finally fill with 50/50 coolant. 29,170
1/5/2015 Vinegar sat over night then drained, flushed with distilled water twice. Filled with 50/50, run, then drained, filled again with 50/50. 29,179
1/6/2016 Oil and oil filter changed. Air filter changed. 29,186
1/7/2016 Forks completely disassembled and cleaned. 20w fork oil and Progressive (brand and type) springs installed with PVC spacer. 29,186
1/8/2016 Headset disassembled, cleaned and lubed. 29,186
1/8/2016 Tire removed from rim and new 90* tire valve stem installed (old one was cracking). Brake discs sanded with emerycloth and sprayed with brk cleaner. Brake pads sanded and sprayed. Caliper pistons sprayed and scrubbed, spray more. All moving parts coated with copper grease. Will still need to completely tear down and rebuild both calipers and master cylinder when parts arrive. 29,186
1/9/2016 Trunk extender installed with passenger seat. 29,186

Vehicle Engine Auto part Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts