Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey hows it going everyone. My bike originally was a bit of a barn find, an Original and unmolested 1978 Honda CX500. Problem was that it was in very rough condition, so it was a perfect candidate for a resto-mod. As some of you have seen my previous build (black/gold cafe), I wanted to switch things up. I was happy.. but I knew i could do better. I decided to go for a more "raw, unfinished" look. Well I've been working on this since the start of this year and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do. Oh.. and I will be updating my fb page www.facebook.com/rayworks regularly to post more photos as I find it a little easier to blog there.

For those who dont know what my bike used to look like. I'm just going to post these up as a little tribute to the first version of my bike.

So then comes the work...

And voila! The bike is currently in mock up. I have a ton of things that still need work/refinishing. Nothing is permanent. Rear hoop was made out of the stock suspension mount. I also plan on making clip ons using the original triple tree clamps. photos are grainy and low quality. I plan on getting a proper photoshoot done once i'm happy with the finish.

I have a lot of my build photographed and logged. I will continue to update my progress when I have spare time from my build. thanks!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Not sure about the bike, but the girl... ;)
Just kidding.

Interesting belly pan under the engine. Maybe look into the turbo's oil sump.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Ray,

REALLY love the angle of your pipes. Was that hard to do? I've never welded anything in my life so I'm considering getting someone to do that for me. Also, are the mufflers in your photo the stock mufflers?

Thanks..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ray,

REALLY love the angle of your pipes. Was that hard to do? I've never welded anything in my life so I'm considering getting someone to do that for me. Also, are the mufflers in your photo the stock mufflers?

Thanks..
Thanks! It was fairly easy. I just Bought some angled exhaust (1 1/4" diameter i believe) and welded them on. I sourced the angled exhaust piping from Pepboys for like ~$6 each. Then just grind down the welds with a flap wheel. And yes they are the stock mufflers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
REALLY really love this build. What kind of coating are you using to preserve the naked steel finish of the tank? I see a lot of debate about it and have never found the definitive answer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
REALLY really love this build. What kind of coating are you using to preserve the naked steel finish of the tank? I see a lot of debate about it and have never found the definitive answer.
Thank you! Currently it has been flap-wheeled with 120 grit. Yes it is rusting a little here and there.. but quite honestly i actually like the "patina". I do plan on clearing it with the 2k clear from eastwood eventually though once I am settled on a finish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any chance you took some inspiration from this guy?

I am IN LOVE with that build and if it hadn't been for my recent change of heart on rear suspension, I'd still be planning on turning my bike into that!

Very nice job on yours I love the way that frame mod ties everything together!

Looks great=)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts