Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum and in need of help, I have owned my cx500 for just over 2 years now and I love the bike, but finding it very hard to find the parts I need when something happens and having little knowledge of the automotive world I find myself handicapped in my search for parts places and modifications that I can undertake myself as a NOVICE.

I am in need of a transmission cover for 81' CX500C.

In an attempt at keeping my bike running in this colder weather I had changed to a lighter oil a few days ago, turns out I ended up cracking the underside of the transmission cover right down the middle of the drain plug threads, course in my haste of doing this in cold temp... during a setting sun... with a still very warm engine and pipes...... while not being very happy about any of this scenario! and having spent most the day charging the battery enough times to get the damn thing started in the first place SOMETHING bad was inevitability going to happen I could just feel it.

Not being a mechanically inclined person I am sure I will be hitting the forums here asking for help along the way but first if anybody can help me please find a cover to replace it, and let me know if there is anything more that I need to take on this job.

I have been reading through some of the posts related to my issues and even though it sounds relatively easy it has me worried!!! I have never done anything like this... but it needs to be done, and I don't have the $$$ for a mechanic to do the work I need done so... best get learning huh? I figured as much after it cost me just over $350.00 to have the rear tire changed after I picked up a screw last month.

There are many things I will need to ask and i'm sure most of them will be very simple answer questions but I just don't know much about building bikes or maintenance on them so please bear with me, most are simple things like when I change my handle bars to a drag bar will I need to buy shorter cables??? (clutch/brake) or removing and replacing the gauges with smaller or digital display how hard is this to do and is this something more for someone who knows what they are doing? removing the air cleaner and battery box to open that space up as i've seen on other bikes, mounting smaller gel batts I guess underneath and what are they doing with the air cleaner??? Anyway you see what I mean I have no idea what the hell i'm doing... 31 years old and I can manage to put gas in my bike and turn the throttle... give this man a pat on the back!! (sigh...) please if you can afford the time to educate me or point me in the right directions for answers I would appreciate it.

If you can help me with a transmission cover for a reasonable price that would be amazing it don't have to be pretty!!! just has to work!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW... I aahh, did not expect such a speedy response. Thank you!!! I will definitely contact you tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't leave a fellow country man stuck

I sent payment through PayPal on the 10th and haven't heard anything from you since I sent the money...

It is now the 15th and I'm out $75 now and feeling more then stuck...

Please email me murray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts