Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wheels are in a shop getting striped and powder coated.

The tires need replacing, dude said his friend can put new tires on, and I should call for types/pricing.

Wondering, ballpark what tires should cost (with install and stems) for 80 cx500 D?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hey der buddy! The tires and all added up.... valves, installation, balancing.... cost me $200.00 I went with the Bridgestone Spitfire 11 that many here rave about. JC Witney did real good for me. Awesome customer service!!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey der buddy! The tires and all added up.... valves, installation, balancing.... cost me $200.00 I went with the Bridgestone Spitfire 11 that many here rave about. JC Witney did real good for me. Awesome customer service!!!

hmm, so that's a "good" price, huh? I am afraid this dude's got me in a position, I am tempted to buy the tires online (probably a lot cheaper) and have those installed (after having a choice in shops to install them) Never bought tires for a bike, so I have no idea. Cars, yeah - hate it too. had a blow out on a new tire which cost me $250 last week.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
The shop that put my tires on, and where I bought the 404's, charged me 25 per wheel to install. The tires were about $150/pair.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

excellent.

so that's what the tread look like? I like those.

Any chance you can actually spoon-feed me the exact type I would need to order? Seems to be a lot of options on the next (ordering) page :

http://www.jcwhitney.com/spitfire-s.../p2017208.jcwx?filterid=j1#prodDetailTabPanel

got off the phone with the shop which had the wheels. He said he's "going to work out some pricing and call me back" which kind of scares me pricing wise. He said generally, tires run from $250-$600....

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I could see maybe $250 on the high end, definitely don't pay more than that though. You could get a set of Spitfires from motorcyclesuperstore for about $150 right now, plus maybe $50 or $60 total for mounting them on the wheels. If it was me I'd say 'thankyouverymuch" and take my wheels somewhere else to get tires, or give them a quote from somebody else and ask them to match it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
See where it says in red..... "Select options & add to cart" Click that! Then you're home free! If you want I could go take a couple pics of them on my scoot.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See where it says in red..... "Select options & add to cart" Click that! Then you're home free! If you want I could go take a couple pics of them on my scoot.

seems like a lot of options I don't understand on that second page though....

without the tires here (and too lazy to get book or search online) what sizes do I need?

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sorry, I cant help ya there. My 78 has a 18 inch rear tire, you have a 16. I know there is a thread about going bigger than stock on the 16 inch rim. I remember 140 was one of the measurements as being the biggest you could go, although you have to deflate the tire in order to slip it on, and then re-inflate.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
might also be important to note, I don't (at this time) plan to be doing 150 MPH on the bike, casual riding, plan/hope for dry/warm days and going for a cafe style.
I'm never going to be going 168 mph in my car either (wouldn't go that fast anyway) but I've got W rated tire on it. The higher the speed rating the better the tire is built and inspected, they're lo very picky on the balance being perfect. This last set of Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position tires I put on my car only needed a single 1/2 oz balance weight on one of the four wheels. 45,000 miles and still plenty of tread left. If I'm able to head up to the Denver area (I stay in Boulder) to go snow skiing next spring I'll replace them before I go, by then it's going to be time anyway. A little over two years ago coming back from Breckenridge we had a bad ice + snow blizzard and a big pileup of semi trucks closed the Eisenhower Tunnel. That only left the old Loveland Pass (elevation 11,992') to get back into town on. I was doing better than the 4 wheel drive SUVs.

Get the Bridgestone S11, you don't need their higher priced BattleAx tires on these bikes

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I just got back from the gas station, about 1.5 miles total. The best 1.5 miles ever. My tires have 1.5 miles on them now lol ! I don't have much to compare these tires to other than the 20 year old tires that were on there. Obviously there is a noticeable difference. They feel solid. Can't wait to get out there and ride! Bikes been down for major repairs for about a year. From that little ride, I like the Bridgestone spitfire 11 also

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just had a Shinko 712 put on the rear of my 1978. The tire itself cost me $43 and I got the tire installed for $24. Granted, that was with me doing the disassembling and taking the shop just the back wheel (with old tire still mounted) and the new tire.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, now that JC Whitney carries the Bridgestone S11 they're liable to be the best price, especially if you get on their mailing list as on occasion they'll have a free shipping day.

Unfortunately they don't have the White Letter ones I'll eventually swap out with my Cheng Shens that only have 100 miles on them, of course that doesn't mean they can't get them though.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.