Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to the forum. not sure how this works.just got a cx 500 thats kind of a bobber and i'm having a hard time figuring what to do for rear signal lights so i can pass utahs state inspection. also im looking for a front fender if you have any ideas let me know please.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
On Amazon you can find a combination tail/brake light that also has turn signals on it. It looks like a license plate frame.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bullet lights as used on Harley choppers. Check JPCycle.com. They are small and light and post or flange mount; LED or tungsten - mount close to the seat on either side of the rear fender. A Limp Dick taillight would look good atop that rear fender.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The cleanest way is this. I used an LED strip where the entire length works as the running tail light, and the center section is the brake light. The signals lights are on the end and you can get it either in amber or red. The color of the bars are available in red, clear and smoked. I used this light on a BMW K75S that we turned into a naked "street fighter" look.

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Tire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car
View attachment IMG_0152.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,736 Posts
1 Pair Black Chic Motorcycle Amber Blinker Light LED Turn Signal Indicators Yu | eBay

2pcs Carchet 12 LED 3528SMD Motorcycle 2 Color Turn Signals Blinker Hot | eBay

2pcs Universal Motorcycle 6 LED Turn Signals Indicator Blinker Amber Light Black | eBay

I would caution you that USDOT/Transport Canada regulations require 4" (100mm) of horizontal spacing between the tail light and the turn signals. This is a good & sensible regulation because it makes it easier for drivers behind you to tell when your turn signals are on.

Personally, while little signals like I have linked above might get you through inspection, I would only use them on the front (in fact, I just ordered some for my GoldWing). The signals on the back of both of mine are in the "almost painfully bright" category because I don't want any driver to have an excuse for claiming that they couldn't tell my signal was flashing. Remember that they still need to see that they are flashing when bright sunlight is shining on them too. And the same goes for tail/brake lights.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,736 Posts
How bright are they and how obvious is the direction indicated to a half blind baboon that isn't paying much attention in a car behind you? How about when bright sunlight is shining on it?

I'm serious about the baboon thing. You don't want to give them any excuse to run into you and then say they didn't see your turn signal. Looking cool is one thing but this is your life you are taking chances with.

And if it has to pass an inspection, it plainly does not meet the US DOT/Transport Canada regulations that require turn signals to be DOT approved lights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are brighter than my front bullet signal lights. Very visible in the day. I just passed inspection yesterday. They wrap around to the side of the seat so its pretty obvious which way you are signaling.

·
Super Moderator
17,736 Posts
OK. I couldn't tell from the pic whether they were the ones that are truly bright or just the ones that look bright at night. LEDs done right can be extremely effective.

FWIW, I have 2 sidecar outfits wanted matching tail lights on bike & sidecar for both so I bought sets of LED trailer lights for them. On the GoldWing I used some round superflux units intended for the back of trucks for the turn signals and on the 650 I installed LED panels in a set of Suzuki signals that I had. I wondered if the signals & brake lights were bright enough until the first time a friend drove behind me. When I asked him how visible they were he said that they were "almost painfully bright". Nobody will get away with claiming they didn't see me :sunny::sunny:

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
As a suggestion.

Relocate your brake light to the left side of the bike. This would place it in a position where the driver (left side) behind you can clearly see it. On the right side of the bike the visibility of the brake light from behind could be obscured by the rear wheel to the following driver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts