Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new gasket for the pulser cover on my 1982 model gl500 (the model with the crankcase breather tube in the pulser cover)

First question is can that gasket be replaced with the squeeze tube gasket maker stuff or is paper gasket a necessity?

Second question is where can I find a replacement paper gasket??? Local Honda dealer doesn't carry then anymore and they are no where to be found (so far) on the internet parts stores. Maybe I'm not looking at the best stores.
Should I resort to ordering gasket paper and cutting out my own?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks- JB

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's for the TI models. I believe murray sells them. Try murrayscarbs.com
Some of the aftermarkets are missing a slot for the breather but I would say Murray's wouldn't.

Reactions: rscottp

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the aftermarkets are missing a slot for the breather but I would say Murray's wouldn't.
Thank you very much CXapatite. I will check that out.

Good ol' Murry: the man, the myth, the legend... Lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just spent like 20 minutes reading only the first two pages of your shadow cafe/speedster build.... Crucidixion ?? Haha

I will have to come back to it but excellent build thread. I'm impressed.

-JB

Reactions: CXapatite

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered one for my gl500 build got it from Murray’s Carbs. Only place that I could find one
Yep, just placed my order too. Been off of the forum for a while. Didn't realize Murray has a website now. Handy dandy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gasket came in two days ago, installed yesterday. It did include the hole for the breather. Yet another happy Murray customer.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,525 Posts
Cool but for future readers of this thread, any gasket needed for these engines except the head gaskets can be cut from ordinary 0.8mm (1/32") gasket sheet that you should be able to get at any auto parts place.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,525 Posts
I like to leave them protruding a little bit like the stock ones (especially by the water passages between the crankcase and rear cover where the mating surfaces are very narrow) and cutting the outsides of the gaskets from lines drawn around the outsides of the parts does that. I also like to get the maximum yield from a roll of gasket material and cutting the outsides of the gaskets ahead of time lets me put them as close as possible to the edge of the sheet (or piece from the inside of another gasket).
Besides, careful cutting maximizes the size of off-cuts and don't you hate finding a piece of leftover material that is just a bit too small for what you need?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Duly noted lol. I am on a bit of a time goal as to getting mine back on the road so I was glad to find one already made instead of hoping that I made it correctly and being paranoid that it would fail haha. I found the oil leak (it was not good... Lol) after a series of test rides after rebuilding the carbs (which were way nasty) to accommodate my far from stock exhaust and pod filters. So the repair, and the awesomeness of feeling the bike run like never before, has just inspired me to do a light restoration. I've been cleaning off years of dirt and repainting parts and such. It looks almost brand new in some places.

Reactions: Sidecar Bob
1 - 14 of 14 Posts