Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Im new to this forum, I nave a 1978 CX500 that I am working on. Right now I am working on the carburetors and it looks like Im going to need a couple of new main nozzles. One is pretty boogered up on top and was a pain in the but to get out. On the other carb the nozzle is stuck. The end of it is so messed up I think Im going to have to drill it out but I dont want to do that until I have a replacement. Dose anyone know were I can get a set?

Any info will be helpful.

Thank you,

Wes

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
What do you mean by ,"Nozzles"?Do you mean the two main jets?

There are two types if Floats used and they have different Float Needle Valves,the small little things that hang on the floats.One type has a spring on their tops and these are for Black and Metal floats and the other type don't and they are for full plastic floats.

Which type of floats do you have?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think he means the emulsion tubes that are under the main (78) jets.

Larry (LRCXed on this forum) will probably chip in with the info you want if he reads this post. If he does not you could send him a pm.

There are some kits on the market but I have never bought one so am not sure on the quality. Larry will probably know where to get the best replacements.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
HERE is a link to the old forum with a cutaway view of the carbs. This should give you an idea of what is being discussed and what needs to be looked into.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

I think this is what he wants. Picture by Larry.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wes, these (primary main nozzle) emulsion tubes are readily removeable with the right tools ande techniques; additionally the "buggered up" ends and slots can be repaired/redressed easily. I do not know how much of the "old" forum files were saved before the site transfer-update, but pictorals of the technique and results were posted.

A quick recap here. remove the primary main nozzle with a well (custom) sized small screw driver. If the slot is already fouled, use a small (#1, I believe) high quality Easy-Out. Just LIGHTLY tap in the easy out (1-2 mm) until it just grabs and doesnt want to come out with tugging (hand pressure). Next use a small adjustable open end wrench to back out the easy out. You will feel it "give" Once out, use a dremel type tool with a flat (pancake) surface to grind down the "head of the emulsion tube- essentially filing away the "buggered up previous slot and threads (usually about 1-2 mm). Next use a suitable dremel insert ( the edge of the flat wheel) to cut a new slot in the head of the emulsion tube. Now use Larry great advise to custom sized a dedicated small flat straight screw driver to the slot. Now your ready for future removal with ease.

Dont forget to prep the initial removal with PB Blaster a few drops- let it soak in 0 or equivalent. Heat from a microtorch (Lowes- about $12-15) often helps the initial cause.

As with anything like this SLOW and methodical is paramount over rough and brute force. It works. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I don't think you should use an easy out on this emulsion tube. If you do try it don't force it, I think several people have broken the easy out off when attempting to do this.

I just checked Larry's book and he suggests drilling it out.

You can use an easy out for the idle jet.

A soak in a sonic cleaner reportedly works well to aid in removing these tubes.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I don't think you should use an easy out on this emulsion tube. If you do try it don't force it, I think several people have broken the easy out off when attempting to do this.

I just checked Larry's book and he suggests drilling it out.

You can use an easy out for the idle jet.

A soak in a sonic cleaner reportedly works well to aid in removing these tubes.

Ditto.

I got one out safely like this.Used some super home-made release agent 50/50 mix Brake fluid and Acetone.Dropped some into the hole.Used a Butane High temp torch(One of my favourite little must have gadgets),

http://cgi.ebay.com/1300C-High-Temp...les_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item2a10ecb76b

and really heated up the area.Then turn the carbs over and kept tapping them with a light hammer.I repeated this several times and the tube just dropped out

PS

These little torches are great for soldering electrical wires if I can't be bothered to find my soldering iron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts