Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Vetter fairing that resembles a Darth Vader Mask, sort of. The model name is "Crosswind". The headlight is a rectangular Wagner brand bulb.

My problem is...I'm the kitchen manager at a restraunt that is out in the country which mean I'm riding late at night or early in the morning and there's been some occasions recently when deer have appeared more quickly than I like because it seems like my headlight isn't getting the job done.

Is there a brighter bulb to go with or some other "driving Lights" I can attach that anyone would recommend? What sort of strain on the battery or charging system would any of these have?

Any help will result in a free steak dinner but you gotta come to my restraunt to get it.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Damn the restaurant must be in Texas.

There are small aftermarket lights that you can get. Several people have been using them lately. Interstater just put a set on his GL.

You can also get a HID headlight kit for your bike.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting and inexpesive to boot...I'll try the driving lights and look into the HID light.

Let me know when you're coming for your steak. If you come on Frday or Saturday night I'll even get you prime rib!

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I like my HID headlight. Beats that stock light I had. But I got the kit from a friend. It's made by a company called EuroFX and it's the whitest color you can get.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm looking for a thread on ADVRider, someone there has done a run of really amazing LED aux lights. Reviews are glowing, and it's generally a tough crowd who love to complain.

Might not be pretty, but it is effective. I just found the thread again with a little digging, linked to a page with a review of the close to newest model I think.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184&page=79

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH HELL NO!!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Be real careful, those deer can come out of nowhere regardless of how much light you have. I have had three crash into the side of my van. No chance seeing them when they come from that direction.

Also had a friend hit one on his bicycle in daylight.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Be real careful, those deer can come out of nowhere regardless of how much light you have. I have had three crash into the side of my van. No chance seeing them when they come from that direction.

Also had a friend hit one on his bicycle in daylight.

Ron White has an interesting theory on deer

[imitating his cousin Ray] "Well, it was 4 in the mornin'. 22 degrees outside. 'Course, you weren't there...pussy. I'm in a camouflage deer blind, I got grease paint on my face, I had deer urine on my boots—I'm not sure why [as himself] I made that part up. [returns to imitating Ray] I've got a .30-06 rifle that can fire a bullet at 2500 feet per second. When that deer looked up to lick the salt lure I'd hung from the danged ol' tree, I caught him right above the eye." And I'm going, "Yeah? Well, I hit one with a van, goin' 55 miles an hour, with the headlights on and the horn blowin'!" Woo, that's an elusive little creature! If you ever miss one, it's because the bullet's moving too fast. I'll tell you what- slow the bullet down to 55 miles an hour, put some headlights and a little horn on it, the deer will actually jump in front of the bullet

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, I'm back. Went to the hospital to get that one supposedly last hot lymph node cut out and was deemed too weak for the operation. They kept me in the hospital for about a week getting my electrolyte levels back up and another 10 lbsa on me, then sent me to a managed care facility to gain a bit more weight. They did the operation on Tuesday and now I've got 36 stiches in my left shoulder area. Back to managed care a couple more days and I finally got to come home last night.

Anyhow, I found this website on lighting products that not only looks verry promising but also fairly reasonable:

http://www.creativelightings.com/Led-POD-Lights-LED-Motorcycle-Lights-LED-Accent-Lights-s/20.htm

I was also digging through an old box this morning looking for a part and found a bunch of that "pimp my ride" stuff the auto stores sell. One place had a closeout a few years ago and I bought several items. In there was a couple of items that had perfect rather small pods with LEDs in them, ideal to change over to a high brightness white LED. One of interest has two aerodynamically shaped pods, about 3/4 x 3/4 x 1-1-1/4" long each containing a tiny white strobe light and an LED of unknown color as I haven't hooked it up yet. Regardless, the "pimp your ride" section of an auto or truck store may have items with pods that could be reused with something like the 5 Chip 220,000MCD Warm White 10mm LEDs on sale here: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.c..._campaign=13c6ccb9d9-April21&utm_medium=email Those equate to 2765 lumens, a heck of a lot of light.

For reference a 100 W tungsten incandescent (120 V) = 1750 lm

The first LED I listed is a warm white, here's an almost HID color (7,000*K) with a little more output: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16642

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Yea, I'm back. Went to the hospital to get that one supposedly last hot lymph node cut out and was deemed too weak for the operation. They kept me in the hospital for about a week getting my electrolyte levels back up and another 10 lbsa on me, then sent me to a managed care facility to gain a bit more weight. They did the operation on Tuesday and now I've got 36 stiches in my left shoulder area. Back to managed care a couple more days and I finally got to come home last night.

It's good to see you back Marshall

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's good to see you back Marshall

Thanks, I sure hope this is the end of it. I've been messed up since February of last year, got to work about 4 months during the year though but haven't worked since last November. Be good to get back, plan on starting to go back in probably in another week.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Thanks, I sure hope this is the end of it. I've been messed up since February of last year, got to work about 4 months during the year though but haven't worked since last November. Be good to get back, plan on starting to go back in probably in another week.

Ditto that! Been thinking of you and sending prayer. Good to see you here MF3
I hope you are feeling Good... especially in the "spirits" dept

Re:Deer... I've hit a total of Six... all in a truck thank god. One did 1200 dollars of damage, got up and ran away like he was "playing" dodge car ...

I don't think light will make much difference as I see herds of deer standing calmly on the side of the interstate with semis passing. My thought on this is to have a "Special" horn that barks like a wolf every few seconds while rural riding at night. Maybe one that sounds like a shotgun

I dunno, it's a real problem in that wildlife management is real poor in the bambi dept. They are overpopulated in many areas and subsequently looking for food in places they normally might not. Last time I made a night trip from Atlanta to New Orleans, I saw at least two hundred in Georgia and Alabama. Large groups on the side of the road like loose cattle?

One thing you do not want to do if you see a deer on the road is flash your brights or honk. Ironically this will make them "Freeze" just long enough for you to run into them... Why they Bolt directly into the front bumpers of cars and bikes ( and bicycles ) is beyond me... I think it might be nature's way of telling us to slow down. Or maybe Deer are inherently suicidal?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm not really worried about deer in the areas I'll be riding, I just want more light and if you look up I've edited my post to include some really outstanding LED bargains. I'm ordering some today.

Damn it's hard to get back i to typing, I didn't take my laptop with me to the hospital nor was there any access at that assisted living center, basically because it was mostly a nursing home type deal to help older people get back on their feet after major operations.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Got some Pirahna Red LEDs to add to the sides of the rear brake light too, I'll probably modulate those.

Looks like I'm going to use two (one on each side) of the 265,000MCD 10mm LEDs in the front.

And they only draw 100 mA each once you've regulated the voltage down which is only going to be able to be done efficiently with a PWM regulator or hooking them in series and using a small linear regulator IC.

Had to use different conversion units due to the beam angle, this should be accurate for each LED:

Approximate luminous flux: 223.074 lumens

As a point of reference, a standard 100W light bulb typically is rated at around 1,700 lumens in North America, so that's only about 14W but it should be a far more piercing light. If I rig some lenses on the pods to reduce the beam angle it would increase dramatically.

Rated at 3.4 - 3.8V each, if you put the two in series they can be run off your 7V supply that also serves the thermostat.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Well, that little strobe/led "pimp my ride" thing might make a useful addition to the rear. The LEDs are red but the strobe tubes are bright white so I'd have to come up with some way of coloring the clear plastic they're mounted in so it would only emit red, would also have to make something so they didn't sit there and strobe the whole time I had my brake on.

A red sharpie pen would work but I'm sure would fade quickly, anyone have any suggestions as how to permanently color clear plastic yet still leave it translucent to light?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well Marshall it's good to meet you and I'm glad you're on the way to recovery!

I checked out those sights and I'll keep it all in consideration. I'm gonna try the local Autozone and the closest motorcycle center out. If nothing there I'll go online.

Thanks Guys!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts