Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. Try as I might, I can't find access to the Shep Method of mechanical seal installation. All of the links seem to lead to an external site that is no longer hosting those files. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I've seen on our CX500 Forum that Yamaha makes a mechanical seal that is far more affordable than Honda's yet fits a 1982 GL500. If this is indeed the case, can someone provide me with that part number?

Thanks very much.

·
Super Moderator
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Howdy. Try as I might, I can't find access to the Shep Method of mechanical seal installation. All of the links seem to lead to an external site that is no longer hosting those files. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I've seen on our CX500 Forum that Yamaha makes a mechanical seal that is far more affordable than Honda's yet fits a 1982 GL500. If this is indeed the case, can someone provide me with that part number?

Thanks very much.

PS I just ordered a $13 11H-12438-10-00 Yamaha seal off Amazon. I'll let you know when my bike explodes because I bought the cheapest one I could find.

·
Registered
562 Posts
So does the shep method fix it if oil is leaking out of the weep hole? Oil and water is not mixing, just oil weeps.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ok that's what I thought, I read through some threads that seemed to agree. Just figured I'd ask to make sure. So it'll wait until I feel up to pulling the engine. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
LOL...looks like what's in the wiki. Oh well...I think I know enough to get the job done.

One question, the instructions talk about smearing "washing up liquid" on the ceramic washer. I translate that to mean liquid hand soap? What is the purpose? Seems to me that the liquid soap would eventually go away..so what's the point?

Thanks,
D

·
Super Moderator
21,616 Posts
No, it means the detergent you wash your dishes with.

Or you can do what I do and have done many times. Give it a wipe with dry bar soap. I have a cake of palmolive gold in the shed for this purpose. Use a new cake so as not to have skin oil on it.

After installing the polo mint to the impeller, wipe it with metho {alcohol}, let it dry, wipe it with soap. Don't touch it again.

The purpose is to give some lube on start up. If you were to be starting the bike immediately after fitting the seal you could lube it with coolant. But it won't be there by the time you are starting the bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got it. Thanks!

No, it means the detergent you wash your dishes with.

Or you can do what I do and have done many times. Give it a wipe with dry bar soap. I have a cake of palmolive gold in the shed for this purpose. Use a new cake so as not to have skin oil on it.

After installing the polo mint to the impeller, wipe it with metho {alcohol}, let it dry, wipe it with soap. Don't touch it again.

The purpose is to give some lube on start up. If you were to be starting the bike immediately after fitting the seal you could lube it with coolant. But it won't be there by the time you are starting the bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,423 Posts
He hasn't been on the forum since Dec. 2017 so he probably won't answer. I don't know about his but I've used inexpensive seals with good results. At one time a lot of people were using seals from an agricultural pump manufacturer in Australia (not sure if they are still being used) so don't assume that it needs to have Honda's name on it to be good. But also don't assume that the one you find cheap will be the same as the one I found a few years ago either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts