Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. First post. just a few weeks ago I was given a 1980 cx500 deluxe. I decided to turn it into a bobber. So far i've removed everything down to the frame, chopped off the rear end, removed the shocks and made hardtail struts which lowered the bike about 3 or 4 inches, made my own handlebars inspired from the Biltwell Keystone design, made a rear fender and solo seat, put together some straight pipes and wrapped them, made velocity stacks for the carbs, remounted the battery and painted the frame, rims and lower section of the forks. Wish I could show some pics but I have no camera at the moment. Anyways, i was wondering if any one who has a bobber style solo seat could post some more detailed upclose pics of how they have it mounted. Either that or just try to describe how you have done it. I want to put some seat shocks on it but i'm not against springs either. I'm just having a little trouble figuring out how to mount the springs or shocks without the seat being too high in the back. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
724 Posts
this all sounds very very familiar. i did almost the exact same thing to my 81 gl. if you made your own solo seat then how did you make it to mount? i took the factory seat (i think). pulled off the cover, shaved down the foam, recovered it in viynl then bolted it at the front into the original threaded hole for the oem gas tank. the rear was a stock mounting until i cut the plastic mounts off and bolted springs to the back. i would really like to see a picture of this before i could offer any advice other than "you've come this far, figure the rest out yourself"

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the seat I made is only a pan at this point. If I had to I'm sure I could figure it out myself, I just would like a few ideas from fellow owners to see what people have come up with. Thanks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
the stock seat mounting is 2 bolts that go through the sides of the seat off these little tabs. you could put tabs on the underside to mount springs for a springer seat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.