Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know exactly how to explain the problem i am experiencing so i'm going to give a play by play of what happened to today

started up the bike w/ air pods and 3 1/2 turns 90/120 jets. no start

pulled off the pods and put on home made air intakes. poor idling. twist throttle and it drops dead

reset to 3 turns. ran a little better

closed the choke. idle went to 4000 rpms and stayed there. rolled the idle screw (the one that pushes on the butterflies)out to close them. . idle dropped to 800 and stayed there. after a few seconds i heard a weird noise that almost sounded like a suction sound then the idle shot to 4000.

the suction sound made me think vacuum leak but i can't imagine where its coming from. the noise sounds like its coming from the area around the filters. any clues where to look? also once the idle was at 4000 the throttle response was good. it rev'd up then when i released the throttle it went back down to its static rpm. is there any chance that i have the jets in the wrong places? the only thing that i changed from last time i ran it and DIDN'T have this problem was i pulled the bowls and cleaned the float needle housings, which was good because i found plastic in the housings from the old fuel filter. once i cleaned that out the leak i was chasing stopped. but its totally not drivable with a 4000 rpm idle speed. i definetly need some help here. thanks.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
It's worth it to just double check and make sure your jets are in the right place - big in brass is how I've been told to remember it. To check for air leaks you can use starter fluid or even wd40 or similar and squirt a bit around the intakes and manifold areas, if you have an air leak it'll rev a bit when you squirt it. So you're saying it won't run at all without the choke pulled?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really know whats going on. the more i'm thinking about it the more it seams like a vacuum leak. the vacuum line off the carb for the petcock is not connected any more and i think the plug I installed is loose. could a vacuum leak from there be causing this problem? my old vac. operated petcock doesnt fit my new tank and i capped the line a while ago. i think the cap may be the wrong size and allowing vacuum to leak.

also from that neumonic decive you mentioned i'm sure the jets are in the correct locations.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i took a toothpick and shoved it in the vacuum port. started the bike up and it idles at 2k now. i'm sure its because i have the idle screw turned up too far. but it looks like i found the vac. leak. i'll get a vac. cap for it tomorrow. a toothpick is ghetto

1 - 4 of 4 Posts