Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI there, I just bought a cx500 a while ago and turned it into a cafe racer.. I am cosmetically very capable but mechanically dumb as a rock... My cx rides fine and all but there is a little noise from the cam chain and I know its giving up soon. I checked and fouind out that there was a recall based on my vin number and y bike never got it.(no 3 donts next to the number).

I have no Idea where to buy the parts or even how to do it and most mechanics dont really seem confident doing it.
I want to know if there is anyone in the area who is willing to help me out to fix this and has done it before. I am more than willing to pay for your time and effort.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If your bike is a true 1979 model, I don't think it would have been subject to the recall. I suppose it could have an older engine in it.

Sometimes the 3 punch marks can be hard to see.

I have a 78 that was subject to the recall, it has no punch marks but the repairs/fix were done on it.

What is your engine serial number?

"The recall for cam chain guide modification only affected serial number range 2000001-2034366 of the 1978 model"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2003896. and there is no punch mark anywhere... I looked really well:)... and im pretty sure the cam chain is making some sort of rattle and lower rpms.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
How many miles are on the bike?

It could need a cam chain regardless of if the recall work was done or not.

What is the serial number on the headstock of the bike?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its got about 17k miles on it... I dont know the serial number on the headstock.. have to look it up when i get back home

·
Registered
800 Posts
riz, Hello fellow Washingtonian what part of Seattle? and yes one way or another I can help you with this. PM me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank SLiM here for taking the time to explain a lot to me and a friend who are noobs when it comes to the cx engine. finally figured out the bike never needed the recall and the little sound from the front is most probably the related to the fan. I will get on that ASAP. thanks Slim!!!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
There was only a few 1978 that was recalled. After that, everything came with a more updated tensioner. At least that's what I've read.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I want to thank SLiM here for taking the time to explain a lot to me and a friend who are noobs when it comes to the cx engine. finally figured out the bike never needed the recall and the little sound from the front is most probably the related to the fan. I will get on that ASAP. thanks Slim!!!
Riz was great to meet you and Sam, feel free to ask any cx related question. Here's the picture of the 3 bikes.

Oh... and Murryf your carbs are AWSOME!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts