Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am restoring my cx500 and I'm going with a red/grey scheme. I am trying to find the sizes of the fuel/breather/rad/drain lines. Does anyone know this info off hand or kind enough to post a link?

I went through my Haynes manual and the linked manual and found nothing relevant. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
New radiator hoses can be trimmed from Gates #28475 and Gates #19670.

1/4 inch fuel line.

Breathers are custom molded hoses, unless they're cracked, I'd leave them alone, they seem to last forever. Give them a good spraying with silicone aerosol or silicone grease and they'll look spankin' new.

There was a post on the old list with pictures etc., but the links come up 404.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just use NAPA #8230 radiator hose -- you'll get both the upper and lower hose from that 1, very cost effective. BE SURE to get quality radiator hose clamps, like the USA or Euro stainless steel ones.

1/4" fuel line for....the fuel line

Carb drain is like 3/16" line or something, I can't find that size line anywhere, someone else can hopefully help you with that.

Battery drain line usually comes with a new battery, or else I believe it's 1/4" line. Fuel line will work fine for the battery drain.

Do not mess with the PCV lines, they are molded like that from the factory. If yours are damaged you will need to buy some emissions line with the correct ID and piece them together using angle fittings. If this happened to me, I would take whole 'assembly' to a hardware store and start piecing it together. You will most likely need different hose clamps as well, unless you find hose with the same ID and OD.

Air box drain line I believe is 5/16", but that might be 1/4" too...not sure right now...you'd have to check.

The piece of antifreeze line that goes from the thermostat to the water pump is 1/4"...fuel line will be fine for this also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks, do remember the hoses are suppose to be swapped for red colors. So its not as easy as Gates and Napa...

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
morrow said:
Carb drain is like 3/16" line or something, I can't find that size line anywhere, someone else can hopefully help you with that.

The piece of antifreeze line that goes from the thermostat to the water pump is 1/4"...fuel line will be fine for this also.

For the carb drain you can use aquarium air line, as an added bonus, you can use it to measure the actual float level in the bowls any time by holding the line up and opening the drain.

The thermostat to water pump line is too small to use 1/4 inch, tried it and found it to be way too loose for comfort. The correct size was only available as vacuum line at the local FLAPS, so make sure what you get is rated for coolant and/or fuel.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Ok thanks, do remember the hoses are suppose to be swapped for red colors. So its not as easy as Gates and Napa...

Better off just using the miriad of colored hose sleeves sold by the companies that specialize in racing items.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The thermostat to water pump line is too small to use 1/4 inch, tried it and found it to be way too loose for comfort. The correct size was only available as vacuum line at the local FLAPS, so make sure what you get is rated for coolant and/or fuel.

That's odd, I just used a piece of typical 1/4" 30r7 fuel line and it fit great, very snug. I used two USA style stainless steel hose clamps to snug them down, but it didn't take much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts