Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm in highschool and I'm restoring/building a 1982 gl500 that my dad picked up for me for $450. I sanded all the paint off and bought a paint gun for pretty cheap and taught myself how to paint and it's coming along good. I dropped the oil, bought new silencers, and rebuilt the carbs. The only real issue I'm having is that I wanna keep it stock basically but I hate how the rear end looks. I've seen a lot of good looking cafe racers and bobbers with cool rear fenders and seats. BUT I want to keep the rear seat for passengers. What's out there for custom/aftermarket fenders? Or I've thought about cnc plasma cutting some sheet steel and making my own. Just figured I'd see what you guys have out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't find the thread, but I know there was one guy who cut a section out of the fender to shorten it and used a plastic welding technique to put the two halves back together. You didn't really see the plastic weld line due to it being up under the rear seat. I believe he was gonna paint it anyway. It was different and looked good to me, I like the custom yet stock look myself. Good luck!

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,458 Posts
I can't find the thread, but I know there was one guy who cut a section out of the fender to shorten it and used a plastic welding technique to put the two halves back together. You didn't really see the plastic weld line due to it being up under the rear seat. I believe he was gonna paint it anyway. It was different and looked good to me, I like the custom yet stock look myself. Good luck!
That was me, and it never got beyond the trial run. I have another rear fender that I hope to get a better cut on, and work out a better angle for the reattached end.
You'll find the attempt at the beginning of this thread:

Randall

Reactions: MashX

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,746 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

This may not be what you want/need but it might give you an idea:
Mine started out as a CX650E (the sport version) but I've often said it was gradually turning into a GL. The E has the same inner fender as the GL and originally came with a not too bad outer fender for a sport bike but a Previous Owner had bobbed the fender and I was setting it up to pull a sidecar in the winter so I needed a real fender for that. I dug around in my attic to see what I had that would mate well with the original inner fender and the best fit was another inner fender. I cut off the parts that mate with the frame and trimmed the rest to be symmetrical

BTW: That tire was replaced a few days later.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,458 Posts
Adam,
I just rediscovered this after seeing your "5000prm cut-out" thread. For your cafe build, you might consider cutting the entire fender away from the upper part that holds the taillight and trims the seat. Then bolt on a separate, maybe metal, fender. it will save you the pain of plastic welding and filling.
You would need to relocate the license plate, but that's kind of a cafe thing, anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts