Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 cx500. I drained the oil and took off the cover and bolts over the springs. I thought the plates would just come out, but instead, there seems to be a black notched nut holding the friction plate in place. Do I really need a specialized tool to change the clutch, or am I missing something? How do I get the plates out?

Thanks for your help,

Ruston

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I did this 2 days ago. Put the trans in 5th gear, on center stand, jack under the engine to put the rear wheel on the ground, and use a drift and large hammer to carefully remove the nut by hitting one of the notches. Careful not to mar the washer or clutch basket.

I made a replacement hex nut from a front axle nut I saved after replacing the front axle on my son in laws Honda Accord. It was the proper thread and pitch, but had a collar that was staked into a groove in the car axle. Just cut the collar off and used a grinder to smooth things out. Then it was easy to put it back and torque to 70 ftlbs with the rear brake holding everything still. REMOVE the jack before torquing the nut or the bike could tip.

I'm toying with the idea of welding some square stock to the outside of a 3/4" socket to match the original nut and re-installing it, got a couple days waiting for the new springs to arrive.

Others have just used the nut over and tightened it using the hammer and drift technique. You can do this 4 times before the nut gets totally screwed up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.