Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Board, once again I need your help and/or honest opinions.

I have two '81 GL500s. One has some rust on the frame and needs a timing chain but runs great. The other is in better condition but doesn't handle or run as well as the other. It doesn't need a timing chain but makes alot of engine noise after riding awhile.

What's the biggest differences between the GLs and an '83 CX650C non-turbo ?

I like the GLs for the ride and room but I like the "GUZZI" look of the CX. One thing I'm perplexed with is none of them have dual brakes. The CX does have a dual piston caliper. Will that make it stop any better? I haven't ridden it yet so I have to ask.

I'll be going to test ride it this comming weekend. It's pretty cold blooded but fires right off after it's warmed up. THE BIGGIE... is $500. a good price for the CX650 ?

One last thing, the guy with the 650 said he let his brother ride it and he crashed it in a minor slow speed fall- down because the steering lock had popped out and locked the steering while in a slow left turn. I tried to get it to pop out but it won't lock now. The locking tab in the lock looks like it might have sheered off. The tab on the frame is in tact. Have any of you heard of/had this steering problem ?

As luck would have it all he did was scarf up the brake handle and bars a little.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

·
Super Moderator
15,419 Posts
The 650 has more power than the 500s.

None of the cx500/650's in north america got dual disc brakes.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Many or most modern sport bikes have such strong braking power you can do a front wheel wheelie if you really slam on the brakes.....a "stoppie". Between the CX's single disk and heavy weight, it'll never get to experience that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 650 has dual disk front brakes!

And I believe I could do a stoppie if I wanted to, but I don't want to. Lol!

I've never ever pounded on my front brakes as hard as I could because I am afraid of what might happen.

The braking power of my front brakes even at half brake is very good and combined with engine braking from downshifting it is amazing.

I have performed emergency braking tests at about 80-90km/hr but even then I only give it 80% full front brake with the rear brake being held for stability and even then my front forks are nose diving something fierce. I have never actually needed to stop like that in a real world situation though and I wouldn't want to either because if anything was closer than 3-4 carlengths behind me they would plough right into me and we all know how much people love to tailgate.

In regards to the steering lock. When I dropped my bike at about 50-60 km/hr when a car turned left in front of me I sheered off my steering lock as well. It doesn't take much to break this little tab off the steering column. I have since had a guy make a replacement piece for me and I plan on welding it back on.

Currently I have to put felt tabs on the back of my upper fork tubes as they will make contact with my gas tank and dent the tank. So watch for that, you don't want to be denting the tank or the damaging the tubes more than they already are.

I discovered my 650E was a pretty tough bike after that 50-60km/hr drop as other than the missing steering lock I could not discover any other problems with the front fork/tubes. I have since rode the bike about 1000km after the accident and have not noticed any problems yet. So just cause the bike was down doesn't mean its done. Check the front end very carefully. See if the front forks are bent in any way, check wheel bearings/axle too by shaking the front wheel while its off the ground.

Most of all try and take the bike for a test ride to see how it feels in corners and straight riding to see if it's messed up at all. Inspect the bike before the test ride obviously.

Given my experience, these bikes are tough.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
The visible damage you report in itself does not seem like a serious problem, or an indication of a serious crash. I wouldn't be overly worried about frame damage, just check all plastic for cracks and the steering for misalignment, along with the usual "due diligence" stuff. The steering lock excuse for the accident is phoney, I'd bet on it. Not that it matters though. $500 is a good price for a 650 if it's not in need of a lot of parts or work. Parts are readily available used, EXCEPT for the left side cover, which is VERY rare in decent unbroken condition. In good running condition they are the quickest of the carbureted CX/GL models, mostly due to their being the lightest. Tall riders sometimes complain of not enough leg room. Except for the engine and igniters, virtually NOTHING on a CX650C is interchangeable with any other CX/GL. Having ridden and/or owned every CX/GL model (except a 500Sport) IMO the CX650C is a tremendously fun bike for local around town riding. Every ride brought a grin to my face, and the temptation for a "Whatch this!" antic. If I only had one CX/GL it might not be a CX650C, but that is mostly because I love the open interstate so much. They are great bikes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I have alot to consider. The price is great @ $500. I'm sure. As I said, the damage seems to be nothing but a few scrapes with no sign of a hit, even the brake handle survived. Thanks Jonathan, the "tab" which looks "broken" is the one inside the lock that goes in and out with the key. The tab on the headstock is intact. I was just curious about these bikes having any history of steering locks failing like this.

I do enjoy long rides on the interstate on the interstate so I'm not sure I'll be completely happy with a "sporty" model. By "interstate I mean either of my GL500i's. I'm thinking I'll do the timing chain on the one and use it as the main ride.

My thanks to the board moderators and to you members for the help I've found here, glad to be a member.

Dan R

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope.... I have two 1981 GL500 silverwings and neither has dual front brakes. I've read comments from people who do have duals and they all said "Oh, what a difference". I'd like to be able to say that as well since locking the front wheel just isn't a possibility even if I wanted to. I use the front brake for about 90% of my braking.

I was impressed with the photo display of the supertanker and thought the CX650C would be a fun ride with a larger tank. It had me thinking maybe a tank from a Bandit or such would fit. I like that some of you think it's a good bike and that the dual piston single brake will be better than the GLs.

I'm the lone holdout amongst the people I ride with. One group is into super cruisers like the big concourse etc. and the other group in into BIG bikes such as Honda, Suzuki and harley running 1500cc's and up. I like the way the Twisted V's ride, run and sip gas not to mention that I don't believe in debt and won't spend more for a newer, bigger bike than what I have in my pocket. Seems a Twisted 650 would fill the bill. Has anyone done interstate trips on one ? I like to use the GL500i for 200-300 mile days.

Again, Thank You All for so much great info....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.