Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, long story! Installed a fairing on my naked '82 GL500i a couple of months ago. Everything has been working great and the only thing I didn't get hooked up was the horns because once I got all the wiring in the new box, the horn wires were positioned towards the front of the box and wouldn't reach. Well, this week my wife started riding this bike to work, so I thought I would get the horns working for her. I pulled a little on the wires for the horn, and from that point on, the headlight and tail light wouldn't work. So, we pulled the fairing off and found an orange/white wire disconnected - so I connected it! Hooked up the fairing harness to the fairing and still no lights. Also, now the 1st fuse on the right keeps blowing (which shows it is the headlight fuse). The horn will also not work.

So, I got creative so she could ride it. I found a wire in the box that only comes on when the ignition switch is on. I then spliced and wired that wire to the white headlight wire and now I have headlight. Put everything back together and mounted the fairing - then I found out I still didn't have a tail light - uggh. Had my wife lift the tank and I took off the seat and ran a wire from the tail light wire to the fairing and then wired the tail light into the white wire going to the headlight - now I have a tail light. The only thing she doesn't have is front running lights - but the front/rear turn signals and brake lights still work.

Since the fuse keeps blowing, is there a possibility that the left switch control has gone bad or shorted? That is the only thing I can think of, because everything was hooked up correctly in the box - I checked it against my '81 GL. At least she can ride it now.

PS. Another thing that makes me think it is the switch assembly - when I first got everything together, I had to bump the headlight switch a little because the headlight would not come on when the ignition switch was turned. If you bumped it a little, it would turn the headlight on. Could a shorted switch cause that fuse to keep blowing?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think so.(The switch being shorted that is). A shorted switch is on and an open switch is off. If you are blowing a fuse, especially if it blows as soon as you put power to it, something on the circuit is shorted to ground. The fact that you can run a temp wire and get your headlight/tail light to work means it isn't one of the those. I think if you check again you will find something connected wrong, a chafed wire or something like that.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Worked fine until pulling the fairing

Chances are this action is what caused it and those wires are really tight in and close to there. Substitute a test light for the fuse and start wiggling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts