Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying this from a seller. But I do not know if it will fit my 79 CX500C or not (nor does the seller). So I got his permission to post this picture on our forum and here it is. Any thoughts from you experts?

·
Registered
870 Posts
It would be nice if the seller included the hardware. The top front bolts will have to be replaced from stock to longer, the bottom front has a special "Gland nut" designed to fit inside the the brackets so you don't have to replace the studs with longer. The rest is self explanatory. I have the same guards and was fortunate to receive all the important hardware.

Rusty

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for letting me know Rusty. I had no idea that I would have to use other hardware. If I can obtain that hardware from someone on here I will likely buy these.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Are you sure that style requires a "Gland nut"?

I didn't think it did. I suppose Randall in Minneapolis would know since I used his picture.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hey, I just went and looked at my bikes set up ($30 wrecking yard find). It has 4 of those "Z" brackets that are zip tied on there, not 2. I think someone said these were Vetter engine guards and Vetter fairings use the same brackets? I took my top bolts to Napa auto parts and bought some that were about 5mm longer, there is a bolt to go thru the top of the engine as well which you will have to measure for a good length but the dia is the same as the top bolt mentioned earlier. Nappa did not have that long bolt in metric so I changed to standard size which they had more selection of.

The bottom studs could be replaced with longer ones if you can't find the nuts with a step cut to form a shoulder. Ask if you don't know how to remove the studs.

The big nut reminds me of the air cooled VW flywheel nut called a "Gland nut" I don't have the plastic cowl on my radiator so I could not say if there are any interference problems.

When by camera surfaces I will snap a picture of the set up and remove a nut to show.

Rusty

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
those crash bars look like mine if you want i can go take a pic of them for ya and the mounts if you wish

and on a side note does any one know the brand?? there was a thread on the old forum about the id of crash bars but mine were not on there so i would like to know thats all

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
you might be able to fab something up from a hardware store for maybe under 10 bucks......i got my crash bars and all hardware for free when i had my other parts bike

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thanks for posting pictures Lucky, someone said the brackets looked like Vetter and therefor the guards were Vetter. I'm just repeating what I heard. I just know I like the bars, they are sturdy as all get out.

Rusty

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,251 Posts
It has 4 of those "Z" brackets that are zip tied on there, not 2.
I have an extra pair of 'z' brackets, if you need them.

R

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,251 Posts
I'll try to find them this weekend.

I don't believe these guards are Vetters, btw, but I don't know the brand. They were made for the Standard model. The 'Z' brackets are to reach around the plastic radiator frame, as you can see in the photo.

I liked these guards, but when I replaced the radiator with the later, metal trimmed style, I was able to mount a set of Hondaline guards and make these available for another Standard.

The set I had shared the upper brackets with the Vetter fairing mount. The vetter brackets are black, and a little thinner than the galvanized pair with the guards.

The pair of brackets I have available are Vetters.

R

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As long as they fit these that I have pictured at the top of this forum and they are not rusted to death or damaged I will want them. How much?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Not sure why the special nuts were provided, they have some big fat spacers along with the nut. The nut shoulder does not go inside the brackets. Perhaps the intent was to give a threaded hole in the end of the nut for the addition of another stud to mount faring lowers? Looks like you can get away with stock nuts. I suppose a big fat nut like this would be stronger in the instance of a crash.

Rusty

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.