Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently bought a 81 cx500 deluxe and have a few general questions: What type/ weight oil should I use? How much oil will it take?

The master cylinder for the front brake is leaking, has any one had this problem? I will prob just end up re-building it, but I thought maybe some one else has had this problem.

The bike has sat for 2 years. needs a battery, new tires and brake clean. if anyone has had a similar situation, any other ideas on what to check out or do before taking it out on the road?

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oil capacity: 3 Liters (3.2 qts)

Honda recommends 10W40 or 10W30 below freezing

Do yourself a favor, replace - don't rebuild that MC. Replacements are cheap and way safer, and you will never likely stop that leak.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Welcome aboard. Take a minute to edit your profile to include your location, in case one of us is nearby. Also add the bike details to your signature so we always know what we are talking about.

You will find a plethora of helpful information in the WIKI *see link below*, as well as a free factory service manual you can download. That should keep you busy for a while. Here is the best starting point. LINK

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Sorry, Tony. I disagree on the MC rebuild. I rebuilt mine using a kit. Been running for more than 18 months.....no leaks, normal function, no problem. Took about 20 minutes to dismount, disassemble, clean, assemble, mount, bleed.........done.

Depending on source/quality of your replacement MC could open up a whole world of stink.

For a bike that has been sitting for 2 years, I'd suggest doing the high mileage maintenance/service before I did any significant mileage.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry, Tony. I disagree on the MC rebuild. I rebuilt mine using a kit. Been running for more than 18 months.....no leaks, normal function, no problem. Took about 20 minutes to dismount, disassemble, clean, assemble, mount, bleed.........done.

Depending on source/quality of your replacement MC could open up a whole world of stink.

For a bike that has been sitting for 2 years, I'd suggest doing the high mileage maintenance/service before I did any significant mileage.
That's great, Knute - but when it comes to re-building a 35 year old MC, most people don't know what they are doing, hence my comment.

·
Registered
24,569 Posts
knute

i happen to agree with tony here is why

when these bikes sit in any sort of damp climate the brake fluid being hydrophyllic attracts water and that often causes corrsion in the master

cylinder boreright where the seal rests it is hard to spot impossible to reseal if it is pitted to deeply and if present the rebuild will only work

temporarily

so couple that with a new members lack of experience and the need for perfect brakes

i think the if you view the cost of a kit at 30 dollars plus the cost of s reservoir at another 40 dollars

that a lot of good choices (david silvers spares ) as well as cheaper but effective chinese stuff is readily available

with out US recommending that a newb get into a thirty year old brake master that they will depend on

if you have experience then go to it and under those circumstances i doubt there are any questions you would ask

i know for my self if its not a restoration i will just use a new one with a warranty

this is just my opinion but if i can save money and time and have a warrantied product ??????

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Agreed. It depends on the existing condition of the MC and the goal and skills of the owner.

My case the MC was in good condition, just old seals. My goal is to maintain OEM where practical and possible. My mechanic skills are better than average. So, a rebuild kit and a reservoir kit was the proper path for me. Yes, I did spend more for the kits than I would have for a replacement.

WE need to be cautious when blanketing a poster's skills. Yes, it is safest to assume no skills.

·
Registered
24,569 Posts
knute thanks and your statement

"WE need to be cautious when blanketing a poster's skills. Yes, it is safest to assume no skills."

is something that is not considered enough around here and keeps me up at night lol

we have members that tell us right upfront they have never owned a bike before and have no experience

the next thing the same new member is being told they can easily rebuild there carbs engine brake system oh yes my favorite

let put in new tapered steering bearings lol

some judgement required LOL lets keep all our member safe and sound

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Yeah...new stem bearings is not for the faint of heart. The rat nest is completely open, instruments come off, fork comes off, handle bars off......then drive out the old races.....remove race from bottom triple tree.......

I did that deed. Took me about 10 hours split over a Saturday/Sunday. Only had to solve a blinker cross wire. (mixed running light circuit with blinker circuit)

The LOML saw the bike mid-repair. She asked, "Are you going to get that running again?" I replied, "I think so.....don't know when."

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,099 Posts
Many the replacement MCs that were so popular on the forum last year have started leaking from the sight glass. Most of those members would have come out ahead just buying a rebuild kit.

R

·
Registered
24,569 Posts
randall i dont think that can be stated

we dont know how many woukd have had leaks from trying to rebuild masters that had bad bores

and the issue here really is what is appropriate advice for a newb that does not know how to recognize when anything is or is not rebuild able

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.